1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved laptop wifi suddenly very slow/intermittent

Discussion in 'Networking' started by sponnie, Sep 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sponnie

sponnie Thread Starter

Hi, the wi-fi on my laptop has suddenly become very slow (5mbps) and it usually disconnects every 5 minutes and I have to wait another 5 minutes for it to reconnect.

This has only started happening the last 10 days or so.

The wi-fi on my android phone which is connected to the same router runs perfectly with quite high speeds achieved. 50mbps

I have a computer that is wired via ethernet and that achieves speeds of 70mbps.

I have tried reinstalling the driver but nothing happens. If I try 'updating' the driver Windows just says it's the best driver installed.

I have tried reinstalling Windows 10 by reseting it. It has the latest updates.

Is it possible my wi-fi adapter hardware is failing? I thought it would either work or not if it was the hardware.

I have no idea how to solve this problem and it basically means I can't use my laptop as I have to keep waiting for it to reconnect after it disconnects every 5 minutes.

I have also 'reset' the router incase it was a problem with that but was unsuccessful.

I hope someone can help me with a miracle solution.

I'm wondering if I should got back to Windows 7 but I've had Windows 10 for a good few months now and the adapter has always been fine. I'm just worried a latest update has affected it somehow.

Oh I can also use my phone via USB tethering and I get good speeds doing that but I don't have a lot of data so it's not a viable solution.

Thanks for reading,

Kind regards, Sponnie.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What is the (internet access) performance connecting this laptop via ethernet?

Do you have the latest wireless driver from the laptop manufacturer's web site?

Try the following:

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista through 10.

Start - All Programs - Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt. [For Windows 8 thru 10: <Windows Logo> + x - Command Prompt(Admin)]

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine after all three commands; no need to boot after the 1st and 2nd.

3. sponnie

sponnie Thread Starter

Hi TerryNet, thanks very much for replying with that suggestion. I did the 3 reset commands and rebooted but I'm still getting the same problem. It's taking 5 minutes loading the speed test page then I just get an error message saying the page couldn't load. Now the connection has been lost altogether again. It will probably come back in 5 minutes but then it'll only last for a couple and it'll do the same again.

I also tried a System Restore to a time before it started happening but that didn't work either.

It's very strange as I didn't know adapters could fail like this, I thought they would just stop working and not behave intermittently.

Looks like I'll probably have to buy a new one.

I also tried it with an ethernet cable as you advised and the speed test was normal, above 70mbps.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    And the driver question?

5. sponnie

sponnie Thread Starter

Hi TerryNet, thanks again for replying.

I have tried installing the driver from the Samsung site and although it seems to install I notice in Device Manager that it's still the same driver version that Windows has updated it to. I have totally uninstalled the driver before doing this but still the same problem.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you can easily access the adapter through a cover on the laptop's bottom remove and carefully and firmly replace the adapter several times. This will fix any possible looseness or corrosion problem.

7. sponnie

sponnie Thread Starter

Hi TerryNet, thanks very much for that advice, you're a star! I did what you advised but when I was replacing the adapter I noticed there were two cables that had to be connected to it. There was only one cable connected when I took it out. I guess the other cable must've just got displaced somehow. Everything seems to be working fine now. I'm very happy.

Thanks again.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Good. :) I didn't say anything about the antenna leads 'cause I was sure you would take are of them.

You're welcome. :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1178280

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice