1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop will not boot after installing new Ram

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by horus006, Apr 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. horus006

horus006 Thread Starter

Here is the issue that I have come acrossed. The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite M55-S3314, I downloaded the specs .pdf from the Toshiba website. it says for the Ram......

Configured with 512MB DDR SDRAM (both memory slots may be
    occupied)
    • 512MB (Min)/2048MB (Max), 512MB in service-accessible memory
    slot plus one available user-accessible memory slot for 256MB,
    512MB, or 1024MB PC2700 DDR 333MHz SDRAM 2.5V
    SODIMM memory modules

I have purchased one stick of 1024MB PC2700 DDR 333MHz SDRAM 2.5V SODIMM memory modules from Tigerdirect. The Ram was tested on a different model of Toshiba Satellite M45-S169 which takes the exact same type and it worked just fine, no problems.
    But when we tried to install it in the Toshiba Satellite M55-S3314 upon boot of the system it will hang and make a loud beeping noise and do nothing, wont even reach the part where you can enter the bios. Take out the Ram boot the computer and it comes up just fine no problems. Does anybody know why it would do this? any help would be greatly appreciated Thank you

Chris

2. Stanhope

Stanhope

Sounds like it might be a loose RAM chip... I have no experience with laptop RAM, but on a desktop, you will hear and feel a "click" when it is in all the way.

3. rkowatch

rkowatch

1. Tigerdirect kinda sucks... but that's just an opinion i felt i needed to state :p

2. it may be that the particular model of ram chip you are trying to install is not compatable with your particular laptop model

you may try and go to the manufacturer of the ram's website and see if they have a compatability listing thing like crucial does... you can put in your model and everything and they will pretty much tell you yay or nay on a variety of chips... be sure to take close note of the model number of your ram chip as well...

i have had this same issue with a desktop once... right kind of ram... just not compatable with the motherboard...

hope this helped

4. horus006

horus006 Thread Starter

Thank you, I did try unseating the ram and tried two sticks of the same and neithe one worked even after making sure they were seated properly.

I will check the manufacturers website like you suggested, I actually just came acrossed a posting in my search a little bit ago that suggested the same thing right kinda ram but the chip might not be compatable.

thank you both for your quick response I appreciate it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703517

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice