Laptop will not boot (Vista)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

badams59

My daughter's laptop (HP) will not boot. It was working sporadically. I booted it, and ran Windows Update because I wanted to make sure it was up do date and then I would run anti-virus. During the update the computer went dead so I assume the updates were interrupted. I cannot get even to safe mode. The computer did not come with a Vista disk. Is there any way to create a Vista boot disk and try to boot up this computer? I can get to BIOS but cannot find anything that helps. Thanks.

Ent

Josiah
Retired Trusted Advisor
A vista disk won't boot up the computer, it will install Windows Vista onto it. Doing so has a very high chance of wiping everything off the computer. If the updates were indeed interupted then you aren't likely to boot that machine without reinstalling, but first have a look here about the chance of recovering her files.

TerryNet

Terry
The HP laptop almost certainly came with a Recovery partition. Tapping the F11 key (I think it's the same on all recent HP laptops) at turn on should get into that. Or, use the set of Recovery disks if you or she made them.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online