1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop will not boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by silverorb, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. silverorb

silverorb Thread Starter

One of my employees recently gave me her laptop to try and format due to an error she received upon a boot up attempt. The error reads;

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0x8186F2B0, 0xC0000032, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
    INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

This is all I have for specs on the Dell, as well as what I have tried:;
    Dell Latitude C600
    Windows 2000pro

I have have tried checking CMOS, using f8 to enter windows advanced option (i.e safe mode, last known good configuration, etc)
    Also tried a WIN 98 cd, WIN xp cd but I was unable to get the rom to recognize the CD--

Any help would be GREAT!

Thanx

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Do you get a menu with F8? Does the machine have a floppy drive?

Have you tried booting from an XP CD (if available)?

3. silverorb

silverorb Thread Starter

Yes I get a menu with f8 as stated but no command prompt--

and yes like I said I have tried the XP cd but cant boot from it and no floppy

4. silverorb

silverorb Thread Starter

Does anyone know how to access the windows XP cd so I can install it? Unable to boot from cd not sure if there is a key to hold down or something on laptops

5. norton850

norton850

You've checked BIOS, so is the CDROM drive the first boot device? What happens when you try and boot from the CD?

6. bp936

bp936

Why would a floppy ddrive help, please let us all know Elvandil, I bought an external floppy USB plugged and it works fine, for only 24 $ named "TARGUS", it might help some else, since new computers don't have a floppy any longer.

7. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy folks...

silverorb...

If I remember correctly, on some of those Dells you had to press the F12 key (I think) to access a boot menu to change it to boot to CD (it's not a permanent change so you have to do it each time to change the boot device)...

Might give it a shot...

8. Flags

Flags

Silverorb: Jedi's right. Reboot your computer, at the Dell logo, press F12. This brings up the Boot Order menu.
    There is a IDE configutation diagnostic on that menu. Click on it and it will check your configuration and even tell you if the HDD is failing.
    Hope this helps.
    You can always reboot and select the CD rom as first boot device and go from there with your XP disk.

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

Just trying to determine what type(s) of access to the machine are available. It's possible that with a floppy drive that setup can be started using the XP setup disks (floppies).

They are available here:

XP Setup Boot Disks

Where would you expect a command prompt and why? No command prompt need enter into XP setup.

Are any of the options in the F8 menu working?

Can you boot from any other CD or is your XP copy the only bootable CD that gives problems (trying the suggestions above from Flags and Jedi_Master)?

How happens when you insert the XP CD or a 98 CD while 2000 is running? Does the drive recognize any CD's? Try cleaning the laser lens (with a Q-Tip and alcohol or using a commercial cleaning CD).

10. Mulderator

Mulderator

Run Chkdsk /f if you can get to a DOS prompt. You can do that from the Recovery Console on the XP CD, but of course you have to get that recognized.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536777

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice