1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

laptop will not connect to wifi

Discussion in 'Networking' started by halfy, Feb 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. halfy

halfy Thread Starter

My laptop suddenly stopped being able to connect to our wireless internet. All other devices in the house still connect fine including my phone which is what I'm posting this from. It has worked fine almost the entire time I've had the laptop but about a week ago it I booted it up and it couldn't connect to the internet. It says connections are available but when I try to connect it gives the error message "Windows was unable to connect to [my network]". I try to troubleshoot problems and it says "Investigate router or access point issues". Turned my router off and back on, unplugged it for 10 sec,etc. wifi still doesn't work. I've toggled the wifi button on the keyboard, and uninstalled and reinstalled wireless adapters and did a system restore to a point when I know the internet was working. None of that has worked. I did try following some pinging directions I found and when I ping google.com I get the error message "Ping request could not find host google.com. Please check the name and try again". I pinged 4.2.2.2. and the request timed out. 4 packets lost(100%) so I'm wondering if maybe this is where the problem is, I've also wondered if it's possibly a virus?. It's a Samsung RC512 laptop Windows 7, Intel Core i7-2360QM CPU 2.00 GHz. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Disable encryption on the router and try to connect. If successful you can probably re-enable encryption and reconnect.

3. halfy

halfy Thread Starter

It works when I put it on WEP but when I change it back to WPA2 it won't connect anymore. It says I'm connected but have limited access. No web pages will load or anything

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make sure you have the latest wireless driver. If it is an integrated adapter get the driver from Samsung's web site.

Try WPA-PSK encryption.

What is the adapter brand and model?

5. halfy

halfy Thread Starter

That worked! Thank you so much!! I had already tried to update the driver from my computer but I had to actually go to the website and manually download and that seems to have fixed the problem. Thanks again

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :) Computer manufacturers often need to modify original drivers (especially for networking) to work properly in the specific computer, and Windows does not find these modified drivers.

You can mark this solved using the [​IMG] button at the upper left of the page or just below the last post.

7. halfy

halfy Thread Starter

Turns out it was only a temporary fix.. I had been connected to the internet all day and I walked away for 5 min and came back to no connection. Any more ideas?

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Geez, don't walk away! :D

Seriously, a disconnect after a dozen hours of so isn't necessarily a problem that is worth any effort. Are you now having difficulty getting connected again? If so, maybe you have allowed Windows Update to automatically "update" to the wrong driver again?

9. halfy

halfy Thread Starter

Yeah, I can't connect anymore. Says connections available and limited access again. I don't think I have let it do any updates unless they would've happened automatically without me knowing about it.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090872

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice