1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop will not go on Standby

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by MarkStrobel3367, Mar 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MarkStrobel3367

MarkStrobel3367 Thread Starter

My Gateway laptop computer is only a couple of years old and now I am experiencing a problem as it doesn't want to go into the standby mode. I am running Windows XP on this computer. I have tried turning off all of the programs via CTRL/ALT/DELETE and msconfig. I even disabled the touchpad but the problem continues.

Every week, I clean the computer by running disk cleanup, disk defragmenter, as well as scan my computer for viruses and adware.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Thanks.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Go to Control Panel
    Administrative Options
    Event Viewer
    Check Application - on left hand pane, then look at right hand and see if any warnings, if so click on them and read message.
    Do the same with System on left hand pane.
    If there are any messages, post them, NOT all of them, just any that are around the time of these errors.

This is usually but not always, associated with a browser add on.
    Also try running your internet without any add-ons. If it is IE, go to Tools and disable all add-ons.
    Then try putting it to sleep.

3. MarkStrobel3367

MarkStrobel3367 Thread Starter

Thank you for your assistance in this matter. There are no warnings under Applications. The following warning is listed several times under System. All the warnings contain the same text:

------------

An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\D during a paging operation.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

------------

I have a variety of error messages. Would you like for me to copy them for you as well?

I also have quite a few addons in FireFox. I don't use IE. Should I simply disable the addons to how the computer performs? Thanks.

4. bilcheri

bilcheri

First thing I would do would be remove any usb device especially a mouse.

If this is a 'close the lid' question then manually push the switch to see if it works- If not go to control panel/power options- should be portable/laptop power scheme- if it is set to 'always on' then there you go..

"I also have quite a few addons in FireFox. I don't use IE. Should I simply disable the addons to how the computer performs? Thanks."

couldn't hurt. and maybe it is something trying to 'phone home'

look in your bios/cmos settings and see if this is still enabled and many of them have extensive options on what may wake up the computer. When I have to bother to do this I disable everything but the spacebar. I don't know what options (if any) that gateway will leave up to you.

While you are in cmos check if the date is way off (like 2008 or 2009) you probably need a cmos battery. I have changed many in desktops and am not certain if laptops even have them or if they rely on the main battery.

5. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I am reasonably certain that the posted problem, ie: will not go to Standby, is due to a process running that is preventing this. Browser add-ons and some anti-virus scans are favourites.

It can also be caused by corruptions in the system files, OR something not right in the User profile hive.

However the repeated Warning in Event viewer, is a little more concerning. This CAN indicate a failing hard drive. It does not necessarily mean this. A fault on the connection can cause the same problem.
    I recently was presented with a failing hard drive, albeit on a desktop and the drive itself was perfect, the fault was in the IDE cable.

If it was my laptop and had valuable data on it, I would back-up now, as a precaution.

Go back to Administrative Tools, this time to Computer Management, then Disk Management and look at Disc 1. May I presume that if it is "D" this is the Recovery partition of "C".

Pls confirm this.

To assure yourself of the drives state I would run Chkdsk. with "/r" on the disk with the reported message. You can either run it as a command, from Run OR Right click the Drive in My Computer, click Properties, select Tools tabs, Error Checking, Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors.
    See this for chkdsk commands

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/chkdsk.mspx?mfr=true

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/913656

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice