1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop will not obtain IP address

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ca$hboy, Aug 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ca$hboy

ca$hboy Thread Starter

Having a bit of difficulty with this laptop. I have tried everything to get it to connect to my friends network but it refuses to connect. Just get the message "Limited or no connectivity".

The laptop is an HP NC6120, with the wireless radio built in. It is running XP Pro and we are trying to get it to connect to his Charter.net cable modem/router. I have checked the TCP/IP settings to be sure that it is set to Obtain IP automatically. I've set a static address as well to no avail. When I had the static set I looked at the status and it was ending bytes but not receiving any.

The laptop will connect if we use the Local Area connection and a wire. No problems there.

I've tried running the /release and /renew from the command prompt. It will release ok but the renew command just times out after a while just like the Repair function does.

Tried power cycling the router a couple times as well as the radio on the laptop...no difference.

I don't think the problem is with the router as my friend told me that he just had some relatives staying with him and they were able to connect with their laptops no problems. He is using WEP encryption and has entered the correct key.

The laptop has not firewall running except for windows, and Avast antivirus...disabled both of those.

Tried reinstalling the wireless drivers...to no avail. I just had this laptop at my work and was able to connect it to the network there through wireless, and I even downloaded several updates with it.

Thanks...Randy

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If he's using the passphrase option and not HEX keys for the router, that doesn't always work with different brands of equipment. I'd try removing all encryption from the router to see if you can connect, then use ONLY the HEX key option for the WEP key.

Best is to simply move to WPA or WPA2, much better encryption.

3. ca$hboy

ca$hboy Thread Starter

OK, thanks. I'll pass this on and see what happens.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/857216

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice