laptop will not recognize the system

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

poberg

When I try to boot up my Gateway laptop the only thing that comes up on the screen is "Hit f2 for setup" I hit f2 and it goes through recognizing the system and so forth and then freezes after recognizing the mouse. I have tried a boot disk, I have tried a MSDOS disk and the same results. I have tried reloading Windows 98 but it won't recognize it. Just goes through the same results as above.

poberg

It is a Gateway Solo Model 5100, I do get the Bios, my suspicion is one of my grandkids who was playing games on it messed up the setup and it can't find the C: drive. But I am not a computer expert. So I am looking for advice from people like you who are experts. When I first boot it up, nothing comes on the screen at all except "hit f2 to enter setup" when I hit F2 it goes through checking the bios, memory, etc and then freezes. Thanks for any advice you may have.

It sounds like after hitting F2 you never actually get into BIOS(setup) is that right?

Over the years some of the brand manufacturers have done strange BIOS things--making them so limited that they were almost useless or making them difficult to get into. I think Compaq put some sort of BIOS on the hard drive, which made it pretty useless when there was a problem with the drive. Although I would think that F2 is correct since that's what is showing up on your screen, Gateway support lists the Solo as an exception to this and says to press Fn and Esc. With the situation you have however, hardware failure is always high on the list. We need a Gateway expert to see if there any "tricks" we are missing.

poberg

Thanks for the reply. I will try fn and esc and see what happens.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online