1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop will not shutdown or restart

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Taris, Sep 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Taris

Taris Thread Starter

Hi

My Acer Aspire S3-951 laptop has a few shutdown issues. It will not shutdown or restart, without manually holding down the power button. Windows seems to be shutting down, and then the screen goes black but the laptop is still running. Restart does not work unless i've installed something that requires a restart. It will not restart if i choose the option from the shutdown menu. I've tried to update all my drivers and i also updated the BIOS, with no luck. I have also tried to do a clean boot and uninstalling some programs that might be causing this.

TSG SysInfo:
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2467M CPU @ 1.60GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3946 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000, 1845 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 289642 MB, Free - 16710 MB;
    Motherboard: Acer, Aspire S3
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

Any suggestions? And thanks for your help in advance.

2. Taris

Taris Thread Starter

Bump bump

3. lunarlander

lunarlander

Check your Control Panel > Power Option.

For your chosen power setting, click 'Change Plan setting'. Then click 'Change advanced power setting'.

4. Taris

Taris Thread Starter

Yeah i've checked that,l and everything seems to be in order there. Or is there something special options i should double check? Any other suggestion?

5. huggie54

huggie54

try this,remove battery and power cable then hold the start button down for 20 seconds, reconnect battery and cable and restart into SAFE MODE,when safe mode is fully loaded click on the start button select restart.any change.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1067721