1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop will not start up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by n0sferatu, Jan 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. n0sferatu

n0sferatu Thread Starter

The laptop powers up automatically as soon as we put the battery in or turn on the mains power, but shuts down after 2-3 seconds.

Can anyone help me identify what the problem is? In particular, whether it would likely be a software or hardware problem would be useful. I'm thinking hardware... but hoping software as would be cheaper to fix. :D

Btw, it is an Acer Travelmate 520 series.

Thanks.

2. srantheman

srantheman

I would guess that's it a hardware issue.
    what OS are you running. You might have some severe power management on and that's why but I doubt it though.

3. slawless

slawless

if you cant even get to the bios it is probably a hardware issue. the only thing i have heard of that can do this (that is fixable) is a dead bios (cmos) battery. replacing it usually means disassembling the laptop. if it is still under warrenty, opening it up would void the warrenty.

Just a guess
    steve L

4. n0sferatu

n0sferatu Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick replies guys. :)

The laptop has now started working again, for no apparent reason. :S It has done this once before (about a year ago) and fixed itself that time too. Could the bios battery be the problem, or would that permanently kill the machine until replaced?

I would like to be able to "fix" it more securely than just waiting for this problem to happen again. Opening the case is not a problem: it is a few years old, the warranty is well and truly over.

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Must be hardware, as no software (apart from the BIOS) is in play that early in the process.

As the fault is "intermittent", finding it could be near to impossible though in a laptop.

Unlikely to be the CMOS (BIOS) battery.

6. slawless

slawless

I also would think the CMOS battery would not cause an intermittent problem. sorry i have no other ideas.

steve l

7. n0sferatu

n0sferatu Thread Starter

I'm guessing the battery is cheap to repleace, so I might try anyway. The other thing I should mention is that both times this has happened when the laptop has been taken overseas... maybe something from the movement of being hauled to the airport and on the flight could do it? I'd rule out any problems with the mains power as it has been taken a few times before without any hassles.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/322491

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice