1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

laptop will not start

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dikinney, Jul 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dikinney

dikinney Thread Starter

I have a Toshiba Satellite A25. It will not boot up. I have already tried to determine if it was a power issue by removing the battery, trying a different outlet and such. All I get is a black screen with a blinking cursor. If I press any of the keyboard buttons there is a beep. Any suggestions?///

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

3. MAP62

MAP62

Are there any CD's or DVD's in the drives?...If you have a floppy drive are is there a disk in there?........what lights are lit?

4. dikinney

dikinney Thread Starter

This is the first time my computer has done this. No indications of problems before this. The computer shows the Toshiba screen in a flash then all that is left is the cursor blink on a dark screen. The indicator lights on the front show an green light indicator for the AC and battery. THe power on light stays lit, the fan is running, the hard drive light blinks green for a moment and goes out. No DVD's or discs in any slots. I do have a recovery and applications/Drivers DVD which I have never used for this computer. Any Ideas//////

5. Browntop2004

Browntop2004

Your Hard Drive may be on it`s way out, I had a similar problem with a Toshiba Tecra 8000. I downloaded The Ultimate Boot Disc and used one of the Hard Drive test programs on it which temporarily fixed my hard drive. I had to get a new hard drive in the end though. Can`t remember off hand where I downloaded The Ultimate Boot Disc from, maybe someone on here knows. If I remember in the meantime I will get back to you.

6. Browntop2004

Browntop2004

7. dikinney

dikinney Thread Starter

If I were to use a recovery and applications cd to fix this problem, will I loose all my data currently stored on the hard drive. All of our financial info is on the computer and the last time I used it I was in ahurry and dod not back up my info. I am afraid to lose the info. I can get into the Bios by pressing the ESC on start up.

8. MAP62

MAP62

Try this for the heck of it....Unplug the A/C power cord....Unplug the battery for a couple of seconds.....plug the battery back in and try to fire up the computer....if it works once its booted fully plug the A/C cord back in.....

9. dikinney

dikinney Thread Starter

tried that already. No change.

10. dikinney

dikinney Thread Starter

Can you access safe mode from a bios screen? That is the only screen I have been able to get to for the past 4 hours. I have tried everything else I know to do which is not alot.....

11. Browntop2004

Browntop2004

No you can`t access Safe Mode from the BIOS. If you download the TUBCD (above) you will be able to boot into that provided you change the boot order in your BIOS so that your CD drive boots first. Then you can start diagnosing any faults you may have with your HDD. However, BE WARNED - you may lose your data !!!

12. dikinney

dikinney Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I don't want to lose my data. I did try to reseat my hard drive but that did not make a difference. I will try to work on this a little more and see if I can figure it out.....if not I may have to go to a more skilled person than I. Thanks for your help

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486995

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice