1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop Windows Vista (32bit 1GB RAM) Running REALLY SLOW after reformat

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by SgtPepper2330, Nov 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SgtPepper2330

SgtPepper2330 Thread Starter

Ok guys, I purchased this laptop a few months ago so its not getting old or anything, I decided to format the harddrives (C) and install Vista again because of a virus.

I then installed all of windows updates and drivers i could find on dells website. (I'm not sure if i missed one).
    Before the reformat, I could run the windows Aero theme and run many programs without a freeze and multi-task alot. Ever since the reformat, even after reinstalling the drivers (to which i know of), i have to run the theme at (basic) and turn off all aero themes and make sure i only run one program in the taskbar. Whenever i watch a video on Media Player it stutters every 1-3 minutes basically freezing then replaying after 6 seconds.

All i know is i could do all of this stuff before reformatting and theres no reason it shouldn't be doing now.

This happened to me last week so i decided to reformat and install Vista again, it happened again after a few hours. The weird thing is that it comes and goes, it'll either happen after a random time or straight away from start up. it usually happens when im watching a video, its like the memorys full.

Also, i only used the discs dell provided and the drivers on dells website throughout all of this.

The drivers i installed were:

Video (Intel Media Accelerator)
    Touchpad

Here are the specifications of the laptop.

Vista 32bit
    Dell Inspiron 1545
    2 Hard Drives
    (C = 75GB free out of 134GB) -(D = 3.69GB free out of 13GB) (OS on C)
    1GB Memory
    2.16GHZ

Also, here are the solutions i tried but didnt work.

1) I installed Avast and Registry Mechanic and tried full scan on both but there weren't a great result.
    2) I've installed all updates on Windows Update.
    3) I tried system restorng.

One thing i did notice was that the memory/ram hits 100% when im doing normal stuff (watching videos etc) and it was fine before reformatting.
    Are there any drivers or stuff that im missing here that could fix this?
    And please don't recommend trying to use less programs etc because i could do this before reformatting.
    Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!

2. joeten

joeten

Hi you need more ram for vista to work well

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
  4. Hughv

Hughv

Check out the performance and Info tool in Control Panel, as well as checking Device Manager to see if all the drivers are installed.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the service tag number on that Dell?

----------------------------------------------------------------

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/875946

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice