1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop - windows won't boot up

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Thureen, Jul 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Thureen

Thureen Thread Starter

I have problem with notebook, windows won't start up when I tried this morning. The computer continually display the windows XP loading screen. The progress bar keeps on moving, but windows won't load up. I left on with the screen for 1 hour+, and it still showing the windows XP load screen. The big problem is that I experience a similar problem when I try to run Windows Setup for my Windows XP CD. Setup start to load and then display “Setup is starting Windows” and it just freezes there. So I can't reinstall windows either.

The problem was probably result of something I did yesterday. When I tried to shutdown my laptop last night, it wouldn't shutdown. So I forced to shutdown, ever since that it has had this problem. The only non-regular thing is I downloaded and ran Cpu Z (hardware info program) last night. Cpu Z is just and executable and doesn't install as program. Also, I might have forgot to close it out before I shutdown windows last night.

Also, my laptop has been configured for dual-boot with Fedora Core for a year now. Fedora Core 4 did start up properly and looks like my Hard Disk is working properly. Any ideas how to try and fix this problem?

Here is my laptops specs:
    MSI 1029 Laptop
    AMD Turion TM-32, 512 MB ram, 60 GB HD
    Windows XP SP2 / Fedora Core 4

2. pehbond

pehbond

have you tried to use teh windows xp repair utility. boot with the disk then press r to load the repair utility then type in at the screen that look like dos bootcfg /rebuild

3. Thureen

Thureen Thread Starter

I don't think it Set winxp CD ever get to the point when you can press r. I have tried press r when the Winxp CD start up, but I think you need get all the drivers and stuff loaded first before you can use the repair ulitily. However, like said after loading all the drivers it get to the "Setup is Starting Windows" message and stop there, Before you can enter the repair utility.

4. pehbond

pehbond

have you tried to remove the partition and make another one

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Unless there is a hardware problem, the XP CD should boot to point where it prompts you to choose "setup" or "repair" -- where "repair" takes you to the Recovery Console.

How long are you leaving on the "setup is starting windows" screen? This can take a while -- but should not be more than 5 - 10 minutes as I recall.

You might also want to try reseating the memory modules just incase you have lost something there.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483463

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice