1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop wireless no longer works

Discussion in 'Networking' started by icebergbass, Sep 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. icebergbass

icebergbass Thread Starter

Hi, everyone, I just joined and would like some help, please. I didn't find a thread specific to my case (maybe there's one and I didn't see, though). I have a 6 year old Compaq Presario F730US running Vista Home Premium and it has been working fine all these years; yesterday, while online the blue light indicating wireless ON became amber suddenly and I can no longer connect except wired. The wireless adapter is not showing on Device Manager or anywhere else and HP Wireless Assistant won't open. Things I've already tried:
    -Update/uninstall/reinstall driver
    -Remove/reinstall hardware
    -System Restore to at least a week prior
    And some other tips from some tech sites around. Of course, nothing worked.
    Thanks for any help.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If the wireless status light has changed from blue to amber, and if the wireless device is no longer listed in the Device Manager, it's my guess the wireless device has gone bad and is no longer being detected by that laptop.

Your quickest and easiest solution would be to buy and connect an external wireless device to that laptop.

--------------------------------------------------------

3. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Here is the support site for the Compaq Presario F730US (GR967UA#ABA) laptop.

You might want to add and save this site in your browser favorites/bookmarks list so you can readily refer to it when needed.

----------------------------------------------------------

4. icebergbass

Thanks, flavallee, I was thinking the hardware could be the problem but would like to try other possible solutions before replacing it. Maybe I'll have to.

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You're welcome. Keep us posted.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "Remove/reinstall hardware" (assuming the hardware is the wireless adapter) should have fixed any potential looseness or corrosion problem. Only thing left to do is to check in the BIOS to see if the wireless somehow became disabled in there.

7. icebergbass

Well, I'm just surprised! I'm surfing the net through wired connection and suddenly Windows started to install software for new hardware. Wireless adapter is back showing in Device Manager and it's working again, like nothing happened. Automatically, the same way it disappear. I'm glad it solved the problem by itself, but just wonder what really happened...

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Probably the adapter or the part of the motherboard where it connects is failing; you may experience on/off for awhile or it may fail completely.

9. icebergbass

TerryNet, you might be right; it didn't last. I had the laptop on standby as I left the house and now, turning it on, the problem is back. Maybe it's time for a new machine. Thanks for the reply.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If the PC is otherwise satisfactory a USB wireless adapter would be considerably less expensive than a new machine. :)

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I agree with TerryNet.

It's your choice though what to do.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1109449

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice