1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

laptop with external monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by psychonurse, Apr 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. psychonurse

psychonurse Thread Starter

i am temporarily using my daughter's old laptop. the screen isnt working so i have plugged an old monitor into it. unfortunately i cant get the settings changed for this monitor such as pixel size. any ideas on how i can ?

2. arknorth

arknorth

All settings should be accessable through the Properties Settings on your desktop - right click the mouse while the pointer is on the Desktop (but NOT over an icon for a shortcut or program) - this will open the service window. At the bottom is Properties. Left click on it to open the window.

In Properties, choose the Settings Tab - this window contains the screen settings for your computer. This is where you will be able to correct any problems with your screen.

A-N

3. psychonurse

yeah i know how to do that but the max i can get is 1024 x 768 pixels

4. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

What is the OS on the computer, display adapter on computer, and make/model of monitor? Some older VGA monitors can not display higher than 1024 by 768. Same problem with some older display adapters.

5. psychonurse

OS is XP

dont know what u mean by display adapter

e-yama 17JN1-S - this used to display higher pixel resolution on the old pc it was used on b4

6. arknorth

arknorth

What make and model laptop is this unit?

A-N

7. arknorth

arknorth

Mind you - the monitor will give a better picture on a desktop than the laptop, since it was probably working with a stronger video card (the video processor) in the desktop. Remember, the laptop is supposed to be working with a built-in screen. Plugging into the VGA (external video) jack does not mean the monitor will automatically work at the same resolution.

BTW - what's wrong with the laptop's screen? Is it broken, or just not turning on?

A-N

8. psychonurse

make is advent 7062

model is MID2030

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I'll move this thread from Tech Related News to the more appropriate Hardware section.

10. psychonurse

the laptop screen is very dark unreadable

11. ukmatthew

ukmatthew

It will be. When i used my tv for a screen for my laptop i could only get a small resolution size. I don't know if theres a way around it im afraid.

12. arknorth

arknorth

I will take it then that you've tried the Function Keys to see if you can bring up the back lights? (Holding the blue FN key in while pressing on the ☼ key)

BTW - the Advent 7020 and the Medion MID2030 are showing as two different laptops.

A-N

13. psychonurse

i hadnt tried that no. i take it u do mean the letter I key?

make and model i read from the underside of the laptop

14. arknorth

arknorth

Interesting - well I'll assume it is the black-bodied one I'm looking at, and not the silver Dell-looking one. Unfortunately, the picture I have is so fuzzy, all I can tell is that the Function keys are highlighted in blue.

These keys control the functions the laptop does. On many (but unfortunately not all) notebooks, the ☼ symbol represents the backlight key, and pressing it while holding the FN key raises or lowers the brightness of your internal screen. (In some laptops, like my beat-up old Gateway, pressing the ← or → keys brightens or darkens the screen.)

There also should be another FN key called the CRT/LCD key - this one is used to toggle the video output of the laptop. Press it once and the laptop's screen should shut off, while the external screen should turn on. Press it again, and both screens should turn on. Press it once more, and only the laptop's screen should be on.

A-N

15. psychonurse

yes it is the black bodied one. i cant see a CRT?LCD key tho

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/818922

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice