1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

laptop won't boot - blue screen of death?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dannythepetrock, Mar 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dannythepetrock

dannythepetrock Thread Starter

when i start up my laptop, it gets to the windows XP loading thing, it loads, then a blue screen saying:
    'Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt
    \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM'

and to contact my administrator and all that jazz :/

it won't boot up in safe mode or anything either, and it was working fine just last night.

help?

2. no_Wedge

no_Wedge

ok you will have to re-install the necessary files for windows to boot. boot with your windows cd in the cd-rom and hit enter like you are doing a clean install, DO NOT do Repair YET.
    when it is at the screen that shows your windows partition hit 'r' like repair, and continue to reinstall the windows files. This will not erase your hard drive files.

3. dannythepetrock

the thing is though, it's my dad's laptop from work, he's a teacher, and seeing it's the first day of the holidays today kind of blows |:

would it repair properly if i used a XP cd different to the one that it was originally installed with?

4. no_Wedge

no_Wedge

if it's the same version of windows then it will work fine it dosn't matter if it's the one that actually installed on that computer

5. dannythepetrock

i don't know what my dad did, but it seems to be working now. he didn't repair it using the CD or anything |:

6. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

If this is your dad's laptop from work I would suggest very strongly that you do absolutely nothing to it, do no repairs, re-installs or anything. If you do and there is any important information on the hard drive you may end up getting your dad in a lot of trouble like even fired and we do not want that.

I suggest having your dad take the laptop to the school IT department and have them fix it. That is the IT departments job and will keep your dad out of trouble and also keep him working.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/556541

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice