Laptop won't boot from/with external HDD

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Juinorcomputerguy

Hey techs,

So, I converted my hdd into an external one (because the internal hdd port on motherboard is faulty). After that, when I plug it during boot, the laptop freezes up and I can't do anything (tried on another laptop, same issue). I can connect it after booting and access it without any issue. However I want to use this External hdd as my bootable device. Any idea?

Laptop: HP X360 M6-W101DX
HDD: 1TB toshiba
HDD enclosure: Salcar 2.5" USB 3.0

How (what program) did you convert?
I was migrating my system using WinToUSB 3.6r1 (dektops, laptops).
No problems.
As you write 737Simpilot check how you have booted up in the BIOS.

Are you sure the copy is bootable?
How did you get it?
Are you sure the copy is bootable?
How did you get it?
Can you show screen shot from Disks Management?
Example:
upload_2017-8-18_14-21-12.png

Last edited:
"Copy" ==> "converted old hdd into an external one".
An example.
upload_2017-8-18_15-42-55.png

"However I want to use this External hdd as my bootable device. Any idea?"
As fixed disk or portable?

I seriously question the diagnosis that the internal SATA controller is faulty. It is a thousand times more likely that the original, internal hard disk drive is defective or got banged which will hurt it badly.
Regardless, you would need to remove the internal drive or Windoze will get very confused by having two active bootable drives.
By the way, if that does fix things, you would still need to install the drivers from HP's support page and the maintenance manual (under User Guides) will tell you how to remove the old drive:
https://support.hp.com/us-en/produc...-convertible-pc/8499296/model/8788302/drivers

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online