1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop won't boot - new drive installed

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Murphyslawyer, Sep 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Murphyslawyer

Murphyslawyer Thread Starter

I started trying to fix my labtop, it kept rebooting to BIOS page. AFter 2 computer guys and a diagnostic, it had a drive that crashed, and the replacement drive had been a dud. My asus labtop had passed the diagnostic everywhere but the drive. I get it back with 3rd drive last night, that passed, and it froze after downloading steam and other software as I tried to find an image for a image lock password, and ran into a blue screen issue. On restart it had a reboot with proper reboot screen. I looked up solutions changed reboot order and one of my option had disappeared. The pc tried fix it tool but would stop at black screen. I now have no boot options, I disable fast boot and use the other boot option and legacy for my comp to find drive, I'm stuck on constant reboot with proper item or that and missing media any ideas guys? Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    James
    To confirm, the newest drive you put in has Windows installed and was working until this error occurred?

What boot option is missing?

3. Murphyslawyer

I'm not the most computer literate, Sorry if this makes less sense, but yea the first and second drives worked for a while before gettingb stuck. Diagnostic said that it had timing issues I think, and this third one worked long enough for me to use windows to get steam download and install like 9 games, ran into issues came while on google images. When I first changed boot settings there were 2 options one was the CD rom not sure what other boot was. Then only one the next time I went to switch back. I beleive I don't have any right now because I restored to default but the local computer guy said that there my be liquid damage or other issue because it cannot find my drive in legacy, but I thought the diagnostic ran by another local company ruled that out.

4. Murphyslawyer

I had spilled liquid on it and believed that to be an issue early the labtop worked for months then one day stuck in bios. Then work for month then bios, 2nd drive worked for day then bios. It worked the day I brought it for diagnostic but theh said a ok except for new drive so I got them that say that and huh who bought drive and replaced my keyboard that stopped working after I spilled on it telling me 3rd drive is ok, but stuck on reboot which I may have made worse or that there is a worse issue at with wjh my computer has issues with finding drives. Please any assistance would be really helpful even if its telling me it's a rock. Thanks

5. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

That right there sounds like it's the root cause of all your problems. There may be more significant damage to the laptop then you know....especially to the mobo of said laptop. No way to confirm that unless you take to a certified service repair center for that brand of laptop. Then you have to way the cost effectiveness of repairing the laptop versus replacing it.

6. lynx1021

lynx1021

If the liquid was corrosive it could have caused a delayed effect on the circuits.

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    James
    My guess is with 3 drives having issues, I believe the issue is the motherboard because of the spill.

8. Murphyslawyer

Wouldn't the diagnostic of the repair place find that or would they have stopped at the diagnostic finding error with the drive connection? I talked to the man behind the diagnostic and told him my worries he brought it up as a problem but when I confirmed it with him he was pretty sure bbn in the diagnostic I mean if its gonna I'm gonna be sad but it'll be done I'm really tired of bouncing between these guys and getting it back for 4 hours then done.

9. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

The spill could have seeped into where the HDD connections are made and thus producing the errors your getting. I'm in the belief that your mobo is physically damaged by the spill.

You might just need to replace the mobo or the laptop itself.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1232823

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice