1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

laptop won't boot tried everything found on internet

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ehale83168, Apr 22, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. ehale83168

ehale83168 Thread Starter

what I found what my laptop is doing is called logo Loop I hit the power button to turn it on it comes up to the Dell logo stay there for a few seconds cut off and then repeats the same process over and over I have a Dell Inspiron 11 3000

2. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Sounds like the HDD may be going south. Either that or the OS is corrupt. Dell systems have diagnostics on them. Typically you press <F12> as soon as you see the Dell logo upon power up. That would be the first thing I'd try ...

3. ehale83168

okay I failed 2 the say this in the first comment. I did a master reset and girlfriend turn laptop off in the middle of it once I realized it I turned it back on hoping it was started over again but the loop is where I've been stuck. I have done f12 , and pulled up the boot menu, I have done thorough tests but it still fails start up all the way

4. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    If it passes the HDD diags, it sounds like Windows is indeed corrupt. If the recovery partition still works, you may need to restore it to factory condition with that. You will lose anything on the laptop, but it may be difficult to save anything now anyway.
    What version of Windows was on it?

5. ehale83168

Not worried about losing anything on it,i just got it from a friend for nearly nothing because he was inneed of some extra cash so i was trying to wipe it clean. He had a bunch of junk on it and had it dragging bad. Not sure what windows is on it but from what i found online most of them have 10

6. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    If it was Win10, and the recovery partition is no longer available on the disk, you can download the media creation tool from Microsoft and load it to a flash drive using another PC, then boot from the flashdrive and re-install Win10 from it.

7. ehale83168

Okay how do I boot from a flash drive after I download it on to it. I am currently on lunch I don't get off until 5 so I won't be able to try until tonight. Does it have to be downloaded by a PC, can I use a micro card and download it from my Android, I work out of town and it will be difficult for me to put my hands on one unless I go to a public library Maybe

8. ehale83168

tell me tell me how I get to the recovery it should be somewhere in the window after I push f 12 correct?

9. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    I found this online:
    Perform a factory reset - Dell Inspiron 11z. With the device off, press the Power button and then immediately press and hold the F8 key. With US selected for the keyboard input method, click Next. Ensure the Password field on the System Recovery Options window is empty and click OK.

As far as booting from a flash drive, you would need to be sure the laptop is using Legacy mode BIOS, rather that the secure UEFI. Pressing <f12> should give you a boot menu where you can choose to boot from USB (the flash drive). You would need to make the flash drive botable, which the media creation tool will help with. It really needs to be done on a PC.

10. ehale83168

Ok. i will get back to you once i have taken those steps and let you know the outcome.
    Thank you sir you have been awsome and i really do appreciate your help.

11. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    You are most welcome! Please keep us posted ...

12. ehale83168

Gr3iz, how you been? Well finally got some time to go through the steps you gave. Went and bought a 32g drive and everything but when i tried to get upload tht program on my flashdrive it asked me for a windows....-somthing-number
    im stumped.

13. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Is it looking for the Product Key? Or is it asking whether you've got a 32-bit or 64-bit system? Those are the only two numbers I can think of it asking ...

14. ehale83168

Ok im at public library now i think i got it on my flash. (Mediacreationtool1809)

It didnt take up a whole g tho so i dnt know if its the right thing or not.

Will give you update shortly

15. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    I think you downloaded the installer. You need to run that file on a working PC and be sure to select "Install on another PC" (or something like that). That will give you the option of creating the bootable USB drive. That's when it will download several GB of data onto the flash drive.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1226116

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice