1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop Wont Boot Up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Still_Waters, Feb 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Still_Waters

Still_Waters Thread Starter

I have an HP Laptop N5425 and I am having boot up problems as follows.

When I turn it on, it just keeps cycling on ond off. Usally after doing this for a long time it will suddenly start booting. However, it only gets to the HP Logo screen and then it locks up. At the bottom of the screen it says hit ESC for boot sequence, F2 for setup, etc.... and then it just freezes there (i.e. no keys are functioning). However if I am quick and hit one of the keys right away it attempts to do the next step (e.g if I hit F2 I will see a message telling me setup is starting, but then it freezes).

One other thing even though I have 2 batteries they never charge up and the computer wont run at all with them. If I use the AC the battery light starts out Yellow and later turns to red(?). I have also tried removing the battery and just using the AC but it still just freezes up.

I would really appreciate any suggestions.

2. TechGuy42

TechGuy42

Your Master Boot Record Is corrupt I think you need to fix the MBR by going into MSDOS.

3. Still_Waters

Thanks TechGuy, but I cant get into DOS to try anything?.

4. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Try to boot with the HDD taken out. if it gets to the bios without cycling on and off I would think its something to do with the HDD and to have the HDD looked at if it still power cycles like that with the HDD removed Its probably going to be something worse like an MB problem.

Useually when I get into the situation where it won't boot up right I remove the battery, the ram, the HDD and then try and power it on. hope to hear beeps, add battery repeat process, add ram repeat process add HDD and repeat process.

5. Still_Waters

No luck, it is still doing the same thing (cycling on and off and occasisonally locking up on the logo screen). Although, with the memory removed I noticed that the laptop beeped when it tried to boot?.

6. Still_Waters

Ok I have been still trying to fix this. And there is one more thing I noticed, when I leave the memory out it never gets as far as the HP logo (i.e. it just keeps cycling on and off). I also tried puting the memory card in the other open slot with the same result.

Does that seem like a memory card issue?, BTW one more question would the PC ever get to Windows without a memory card?.

7. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Some laptops have on board memory and an additional memory slot. Those usually will boot with no memory in it at all. It does not sound like yours is that case though.

The beeps are encouraging that means its hitting post when its trying to boot up. I am more and more htinking it may be a HDD issue.

8. Still_Waters

Well I pulled the HDD again and it's still cycling on and off and then occasionly when the Logo screen pops up it freezes (if I hit the diagnostic function on the Logo screen it shows all the boot up messages until it displays "mouse initialized" and then it freezes?

I was thinking it was a power supply issue (because the batteries never charge up) but I dont know if the other symthoms are consitant with that?

9. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

That sounds like a goods thought if you have the same symptoms with it out that you do with it in. However battery charge is almost always a problem with the battery being old and dead not usually a PS issue.

You could always test your PS with a voltmeter if you own one.

10. Still_Waters

Ok guys!! here is the latest on this. I took it to Geek Squad and a local PC Repair and they say the external power supply is working ok.

Although, we all agree that the plug is really loosey goosey and does not seem to go in all the way. I have looked it up on Google and it's the correct AC adapter.

Anyway, I took the whole machine apart to check all the connections etc. and have now put it together again. The good news is the cycling on and off seems to be cured for now. Now it just gets to the HP Logo screen and freezes there. If I press an Fkey it goes through the bootup messages and locks up after the "mouse initialized" message.

Does anyone know what comes next on the Boot up process and/or have any ideas what I could try next???????

11. nibbleabit

nibbleabit

WINDOWS XP NOR REDHAT LINUX FEDORA CORE FIX THIS!!!
    Get your windows 98 Boot Disk out and run FDISK
    delete all existing partitions ( You will LOSE ALL OF YOUR DATA)
    and repartition with and old MSDOS fat32 partition.
    Then after its partitioned out, you dont even have to format. you can run Windows XP Install from CD and Partion Long Format ( To Fix The Drive) not Quick and everything should work.
    IF ALL ELSE FAILS REMEMBER YOUR PRIMARIES (CPU MEMORY VIDEO)
    remove everything else.

12. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

I would ignore the above post, it appears to have no relevance to your problem. As your system never gets as far as trying to access the HDD its not very helpful to suggest reformatting...

Without memory in, there will be no boot, the BEEP suggests that the BIOS is probably OK.
    It would indicate that some device on the motherboard may have failed, the moment the BIOS tries to initialise it the system resets or locks.

For what it's worth I have recently trashed two laptops for similar faults, where the fault was in the motherboard. The boot cycle never reached the BIOS in one case before a reset occured, in the other it reset as soon as the BIOS was reached.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/331135

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice