1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop won't boot up

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cyberwood2004, Jan 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cyberwood2004

cyberwood2004 Thread Starter

Sorry if this is a repeat. My Toshiba Satellite M45 running Win XP Home, SP2 is caught in a boot-up loop. It shows the Toshiba splash screen, the "Windows is starting up" screen, then flashes a blue screen with white characters (too fast for me to make out any detail), then the "Windows didn't startup properly" (I forget the precise wording) screen, with the choices of Safe Mode, etc. I've tried every option on the list, but it still fails, returning to the Boot Options screen.

Mea Culpa: I haven't done a backup in quite some time, so I'm anxious about the data on the hard drive. Any thoughts? Thanks.

2. Whoops

Whoops

...noexpert but!... had a similar if not exact same problem... i put operating CD in and restarted then done a system REPAIR... this got it kinda workin and enabled me to save some data though the PC never seemed to be working 100%.... had to do a complete reinstall in the end... best o luck!

3. cyberwood2004

Thanks. I wasn't sure about the "repair" option, so I didn't just put the recovery CD in and run it. Stay tuned for progress report! (probably Friday evening, though)

4. cyberwood2004

When I put the recovery CD in and booted with the C pressed, there was no "repair" option. Only install some media player and reformat/reinstall.

Anyone?

5. cyberwood2004

I don't think I said this before: the "recovery" disk I'm using is a Toshiba CD/DVD, came with the laptop. Is there likely a Win/XP disk I should be looking for? Toshiba's only options are "Install xxx Media Player" and "Reformat and Reinstall". (paraphrased)

If I don't get this fixed soon my kids are going to reformat/reinstall on their own. They'd probably do ok, but we'd lose all the stuff in the My Documents folders. :( (Is there a "cry" smilie?)

Thanks, all

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538133

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice