1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

laptop wont boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by [email protected], Oct 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. b@k3d

[email protected] Thread Starter

I have a compaq 700 notebook, and when I try to turn it on it does not turn on the power light just turns off. It is plugged in, I have tried to turn on with/without battery in some results. Is this a possible issue with the battery?

I have heard that the older compaq's would not power up without a good battery. Does anyone know if this is true?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. dzones

dzones

I have worked on quite a few compaq laptops and teh most common problem is the power. the problem is in the connection pin that actually connects to the motherboard. Usually the solder is not a good one and the pin has a tendency to move or actually break off in some cases. Try adjusting the plun while it is connected just a little bit as you are turning the unit on. Make sure the battery has been removed from the unit completely. If you notice the unit is sporatic in that sometimes it will get juice and sometimes not then that is the proble.
    Sad part is compaq claims you need a new motherboard and will charge you upwards of 600 dollars for the motherboard and labor. truth is i have fixed it many times with a bit of solder. It can take as much as a few hours in total to get it completely apart , soldered and put back together.
    Worth a shot anyway.
    Dave

3. stod73

stod73

dzones is correct. Compaq is notorious for power issues. Any chance you are still under warranty? I've found if you call in the laptop and do a little are twisting Compaq/HP will usually replace the power board and solve your problem.

4. b@k3d

[email protected] Thread Starter

Unfortunately I did not purchase an extended warranty for the laptop, so I dont think that compaq will do anything about it.

Does anyone know if compaq sells the motherboard? I will install it myself if need be.

Thanks for the rapid response on post

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170449

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice