Laptop won't boot

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

manogod

I'm wokring on a IBM thinkpad 760xl with Win 98. The battery is dead and it doesn't seem to have a FDD of HDD.

The first wierd thing is that you have to flip teh power swsitch 3 times before it beigns to boot. Then, once it begins to boot, the logo screen comes on and then it shuts down. I can even hear the HDD winding down. HOw can I fix this?

Thank for your help. :eek:

I forgot to mention that although the screen goes black and harddrive stops spinning the green light on the computer remains lit indicating it is still powered. When I attempt to power on it beeps letting me know it's already powered. What's going on with this thing?

Hi manogod,

If there's no hard drive or floppy how can you tell
it's running anything at all ?

Also, if your battery is completely dead, that probably
stops everything, too. Will it boot at all with the battery
out ?

manogod

There is a hard drive but no floppy (that I can see) adn there is a CD Rom that won't activate. I haven't tried to take teh battery out, but I know it's dead becasue I've left it plugeed in over night only for teh LCD to say 0% when the battery icon lights up. Using all reources available I think it's a capacitor or coil or something like that tha is burned out so it overheats and shuts itself down.

manogod

Yep, but it wouldn't stay on long enough to go there. I got as far as the option menu and it dies shotrly thereafter. It's as if there is a timer set. Howver far along the computer when the set time is reached off it goes.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online