Laptop won't boot

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bungie77

While working on my laptop computer last night, it suddenly started making strange noises (like a clicking noise) and everything froze. When I reset my laptop, the following message appears:

Intel (R) Boot Agent Version 3.3.03
Copyright (C) 1997-2000, Intel Corporation.
PXE-E61: Media test failure check cable.
PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel PXE ROM.
Insert system disk in drive.
Press any key when ready.

I have narrowed the clicking noise down to the hard drive because when removed, the clicking noise disappears. Could the hard drive have overheated? Any suggestions would be helpful..
Cheers
Bungie

Well it's a toss up.
Either the hdd took a "dive" and it's dead or ( finger crossed ) it's not the drive but the cable/connection.
Judging by the noise made before it froze i'll say the drive is dead. Still let the notebook cool down ( as in couple of yours ) and try it. If it will start i would make a backup of all important files before anything else
HTH

bungie77

Hmm... I actually left the drive to cool overnight. The same problem remained and yeah I had a feeling the drive was dead. Luckily, I had no important information stored on that drive that I can't replicate, it's just going to be annoying getting it all back on a new drive! I have checked the connection several times...
Thanks for you support
Bungie

EDIT: By checking connection I mean unplugging the HDD and plugging it back in....

Bungie...
Sorry, but as u figured out already it's the hdd.
Might try ( really it's a long shot since it was used for old school hdd, as in 10 megs hdd, oh god i'm too old if i remember those :D ) freezing the hdd. Basically u stick the hdd into the freezer for about 1 hour then take it out and plug it in. If it works great, you'll be able to access the files for awhile.
The "mystery" behind this "technique is this. On old school hdd, freezing the hdd was acctualy making the fluid inside the bearings became thicker, hence the motor of the hdd was able to spin the heads and all that.
On newer hdd this "technique" is a crap shoot, since the fluid used is different and usualy when you get the "click of death" it's the controller on the hdd that acctually took a dive.
Sorry :(

bungie77

Hey - thanks for the advice and well I might as well give it a shot and if it doesn't work, then I guess there's nothing we can do :( nevermind! that's life..

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online