Solved Laptop won't come out of Standby

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bxf

I am on Win10 Pro x64, 1709 (Creators Update)

Everything was working fine, until one day my laptop started to have problems coming out of Standby. Instead of waking up, it would hang with a black screen, and the only way out is to reboot. This would not happen every time I tried to wake up, but it reached a point where it would hang more often than not.

I tried to bypass the problem by Hibernating instead of Sleeping, but when restarting after Hibernation, I had the same result - hung machine. I tried changing some Power Options, but to no avail.

I restored Windows from an image (Backup A) created shortly after The Creators Update was done, and my laptop was OK again. I re-installed some apps that I considered to be safe, and all was still OK.

Now I created another image Backup B.

I then re-installed the rest of apps that I had before the Restore. These were things that I thought could have a greater chance of being problematic, like Intel Chipset, Intel MEI, etc. Still, after all my apps were re-installed, everything was OK.

Until it wasn't. After a few days, the problem came back. After a few futile attempts at finding a solution, I restored Windows from Backup B (which was created while the machine appeared to be OK!). But the problem is still there! I then restored from Backup A (which resulted in a working system the first time), but the problem is still there.

All this makes no sense. It is as if there is something that is retained across reboots, and is not replaced by the Restores (except that it appeared to have been the first time I restored). Note that I often do a "complete" Windows Shutdown (i.e. not Fast Shutdown) under such circumstances, just to make sure that all updates take effect. I don't understand how the first Restore I did produces a working system, but when I did the same Restore again, I have a problem. And, the problem is intermittent.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

bxf

Thanks, but it takes a lot of work to reinstall all the stuff I have and customize the system. Doing a clean install is a last resort. Not only that, but after the events I describe with the restore from a good file, I can't help but wonder how that would go.

As to Activation: Edition Windows 10 Pro
Activation: Windows is activated with a digital license.

bxf

I'm puzzled by your focusing on Windows activation...

In any event, you did remind me to run SFC, which I had intended to do but forgot, so thanks for that. Although I couldn't convincingly associate anything in the SFC log with my problem, the problem is gone. I did do another RESTORE before I ran SFC, so I can't tell which action is responsible for the problem disappearing, but I believe it is safe to say it is gone, as it hasn't occurred for several days now.

Thanks for your contribution.

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I mentioned activation because a clean install can require re-activation in some cases.

I'm glad it's fixed.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online