1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop won't connect to Belkin

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Dozzy, Aug 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dozzy

Dozzy Thread Starter

Hi I am new to this site and am at the end of my tether! Firstly I am not to clever with all the tech stuff so as much as I have read and tried to fix my problem I haven't succeeded :(.
    I have a Belkin Wireless G Router which is connected to my Vogager 210 ADSL Routher (with BT Ireland). My desktop PC works perfect for the internet and my Advent laptop once did up to a few months back. It just won't connect at all now. I have plugged the modem directly into the laptop (well via the Belkin they are connected) and it connected to the internet immediately. From this forum somewhere I picked up about changing the IP address to static :)confused:) so while I was connected to the internet on the laptop I got the addresses and changed all on laptop but it still didn't work.
    Any ideas please anyone? And talk to me like a 5 year old because I am slow around finding things on this pc!! Thanks so much.

2. pedroguy

pedroguy

Hi:Welcome to TSG.
    So,if I understand your environment:
    You have a desktop which is hard wired to the router ,and router is wired to the modem.I assume that the 210 ADSL device you described is a modem.
    An that connection works.
    A wireless connection to the router,does not work,but a wired connection from the laptop to the router to the modem, does work.
    And this wireless connection did work once.
    So,I'm going to ask some questions,and then ask you for some diagnostic data.
    Operating system on laptop?
    Any hardware/ software changes that you can remember around the time the wireless went away?
    Now,take a look at network adapters,like so:
    Let’s take a look at the status of the network adapters

Device manager:

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type devmgmt.msc

Please respond to all the following steps.
    1. Under Network adapters, please tell me all the devices listed.
    2. Are there any devices under Network adapters that have a red x displayed?
    3. Also, are there any devices anywhere in the Device Manager display with yellow ? or ! displayed?
    4. Under general tab should be enabled and working properly.
    5. If error code,what is it ?

Then,from the laptop,I would like to see what the wireless connection looks like,and results from the requested pings.

From a Johnwill post on the Networking Forum

Try these simple tests.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD (COMMAND for W98/WME) to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following commands one at a time, followed by the Enter key:

IPCONFIG /ALL

PING <computer_IP_address> For addresses,follow instructions below&#8230;.

PING <default_gateway_address>

PING <dns_servers>

PING 206.190.60.37

PING www.yahoo.com
    Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
    Paste the results in a message here.
    Ping addresses are:
    <computer_IP_address> - The IP Address of your computer, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above. IPV4 for Vista

<default_gateway_address> - The IP address of the Default Gateway, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

<dns_servers> - The IP address of the first (or only) address for DNS Servers, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.
    ______

This will give us the laptops view of it's network environment,and we will go from there.

3. Dozzy

Dozzy Thread Starter

Thanks for the very prompt reply.
    OK here goes.
    Windows XP.
    No particular changes no that I remember. Also my Mum has tried her laptop here too which has worked and she can't make sense of it?
    Network adapters are 802.11b/g Mini Card Wireless Adapter and Realtek RTL8102E Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC.
    There are no red X's.
    No yellow ? or ! displayed in device manager.
    Point 4 - the general tab I can't see this? Sorry....told you I am useless!

This is what I copied when did commands IP Config. I possibly could have left out something that you asked me.

Thanks for help.......

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\John>IPCONFIG/ALL

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : your-f23df9768c
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 802.11b/g Mini Card Wireless Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1D-92-C7-39-96

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8102E Family PCI-E Fast E
    thernet NIC
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1D-92-59-4C-3F

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Disable encryption on the router and try to connect via Wi-Fi. Assuming success you can probably re-enable encryption and reconnect.

5. pedroguy

pedroguy

Also;Are you sure that the wireless adapter is turned on?
    Should be some kind of indication on the laptop,button or light.
    Make and model of laptop ?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/848868

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice