1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop won't connect to internet...dell wireless 1390 wlan mini-card.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dan213, Dec 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dan213

dan213 Thread Starter

This morning I went to go on to the internet and it says it can't connect to a network. I've never had this problem before so I clicked on the network and it said it couldn't detect any.

When i clicked on "diagnose the problem" it says "there are driver or hardware problems with the network adapter "dell wireless 1390 WLAN mini-card" on this computer.

I have a Dell Inspiron 640m

I can find the cord to hook it up to the internet with a wire (I can buy one if absolutely needed) and I do have the original software CD.

I not good with computers so if anyone can help me out I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

2. pedroguy

pedroguy

Hi:Take a look at device manager,particularly the WLAN card.Any error indicators?
    Let’s take a look at the status of the network adapters

Device manager:

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type devmgmt.msc

Please respond to all the following steps.
    1. Under Network adapters, please tell me all the devices listed.
    2. Are there any devices under Network adapters that have a red x displayed?
    3. Also, are there any devices anywhere in the Device Manager display with yellow ? or ! displayed?
    4. should be enabled and working properly.
    5. If error code,what is it ?

It would be best if you could post a screen shot of Device Manager with the Network adapters and Other devices sections expanded.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

Also.Go to the Dell site.Search the drivers available for your particular model by inputting the service tag # for your unit.Should be on a side or bottom tag along with model and serial #.This will make it a lot easier to determine the proper driver(s) to download/install

Also,let's see this:
    Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971210

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice