1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop won't connect to Internet with ethernet or Wifi

Discussion in 'Networking' started by CheeseDonkey, Mar 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CheeseDonkey

CheeseDonkey Thread Starter

Something strange happened. This morning, at 5:25, my Dell laptop "Wi-Fi" changed from "Wi-Fi" to "Wi-Fi 2" and my Ethernet is now "Ethernet 2". Now I cannot connect to the Internet through Ethernet (which is my only option where I am, which is at home), and the Wi-Fi networks that used to show up on the list because I am within range don't show up anymore. I cannot even turn Wi Fi 2 on, since it is grayed out under "Networks."

Specifically, it now says "Dell Wireless 1705 802.11b/g/n (2.4GHZ) #2" on the Device Manager. I tried to delete the #2 from "Wi-Fi 2" on the Network Connections page, but it says "cannot rename this connection. A connection with the name you specified already exists." So the original Wi-Fi (and Ethernet) are still there, somewhere, but where? Why did they disappear? How can I get them back?

Here is some system information:

Windows edition: 8.1
    Processor: Intel Core i5-4200 U 1.60 GHz, 2.30 GHz
    64-bit operating system

I restored my system to March 19, but that didn't work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    can we see a screen shot of device manager and an ipconfig /all

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ipconfig /all

We would like to see the results from an ipconfig /all - post back the results in a reply here.

If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post the results in a reply here.
    Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and paste here.

If you do not have another PC - do you have a phone connected to the internet - can you photograph the result and post the image in a reply
    Note: you will see entries named Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface: we dont need to see that information - JUST the infomation above those entries

For Windows 8
    To open a Cmd Prompt or an Administrator Cmd prompt from the Desktop.
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/open-an-elevated-command-prompt-in-windows-8/
    Use Win + X and choose Command Prompt or Command Prompt (Admin) from the list.​

For windows version, XP, Vista, W7
    Hold the Windows key and press R

Now type CMD

Now press Enter to open a command prompt box (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):​

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

ipconfig /all > network.txt & network.txt

It will export the results into notepad and then automatically open the notepad and display on your screen.

Now all you need to do is copy and paste those results into a reply here
    to do that:
    From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Select all
    all the text will now be highlighted
    Next
    From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Copy

Now go back to the forum - goto the reply and then right click in the reply box and paste the results.
    The results from the notepad should now appear in the forum reply.

Device Manager

Please Post back the results in device manager as requested below

You will now need to take a screen shot and copy that back to the working PC.
    Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the screen shot and attach the screen shot in a reply on the forum here.
    If you do not have another PC - do you have a phone connected to the internet - can you photograph the result and post the image in a reply

how to access device manager for different windows versions
    http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000833.htm

Hold the Windows key and press Pause key, should open to allow device manager to be seen, see the menu on the left hand side

on a laptop you may need to use Hold the Windows key and press FN key + the pause key

If the above does not work then

For Windows 7 or Vista
    Click on the Start Orb > In the Start Search box type > device manager and then press enter
    or
    Start > control Panel {Vista set to classic view}> system > {Vista, device manager on left hand side} {XP hardware Tab, device manager button} >
    start > control panel> System and Security> Device Manager
    For Windows 8
    If you happen to be using a keyboard with Windows 8, the quickest way to open Device Manager is via its shortcut on the Power User Menu, accessible by pressing the WINDOW key and the X key together.
    If on a touch screen - have a read here http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/a/device-manager-windows-8.htm
    Once you are in device manager then navigate to:

network adaptors, click on the + > post back the devices that are listed under network adapters
    are there any yellow ! ? or a X​

post a screen shot of the device manager - network adapters

To post a screen shot of the active window.
    For Windows XP
    Hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application (Start> All Programs> Accessories> Paint) and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
    For windows Vista or Windows 7
    you can use the "snipping tool" which is found in Start> All programs> Accessories> Snipping Tool
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-use-the-windows-snipping-tool/
    For Windows 8
    you can use the snipping tool > Open Snipping Tool (From the Windows 8 Start Screen, type "snip" and press enter.
    >Press the Esc. key.
    >go back to your Windows 8 start screen - Swipe from left or press Window Button
    >Press Ctrl+PrntScr button to use Snipping Tool
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-use-the-windows-snipping-tool/

To upload the screen shot to the forum, open the full reply window ("Go Advanced" button) and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
    Full details are available here http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Posting_a_Screenshot

3. CheeseDonkey

As you can see, the original Wi-Fi is greyed out and buried in the "hidden items" section.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]
    (c) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Alex>devmgmt.msc

C:\Users\Alex>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Theodore
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #2

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 16-5A-04-C1-2C-3A
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Dell Wireless 1705 802.11b/g/n (2.4GHZ) #2
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 64-5A-04-C1-2C-3A
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

C:\Users\Alex>

Attached Files:

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    you could try

Uninstall and allow windows to re-install the adapter and Driver
    goto the device manager > Network Adapters > click on the [+] to show all the adapters

right click on the adapter and from the menu

remove/uninstall the adapter

Now restart the pc and allow windows to detect new hardware and re install the adapter and the driver

5. CheeseDonkey

Not to sound stupid, but do I need an Internet connection for that? I don't have one right now (on that computer, at least). I don't want to uninstall the driver and wind up in an even bigger hole than I already am in.

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    no, its will search the PC for the driver
    But at the moment its not working at all is it ?

7. CheeseDonkey

Yeah, the Internet isn't working at all. And which driver should I uninstall? The grayed out inactive one (the original that isn't working anymore) or the present one that replaced the old one?

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    just do one at a time , I'm expecting to remove all the wireless adapters and then windows puts the correct one in and install the drivers

9. CheeseDonkey

Well, it's back to being called just "Wi Fi", rather than "Wi Fi 2". But alas, there is still no Internet connection with either Wi Fi or Ethernet.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    In Network Connections right click on the ethernet connection and try the 'troubleshoot' or 'diagnose' option. Then try the same thing for the wireless connection.

11. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    have you removed them all ? (wireless adapters)
    and allowed windows to re-install

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'd try the uninstall with the ethernet also.

13. CheeseDonkey

14. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Safemode with networking
    with a cable connected from PC to router
    check the cable - see if there is a light on the router associated with the cable port used , also check if you have a green/yellow light on the PC LAN port (some PCs do not have any lights on the LAN port - so ignore)
    - try safemode with networking (sometimes wireless does not work with safemode )
    as the PC starts keep tapping F8 - a menu appears - choose
    safemode with networking - see if that works

For windows 8

http://www.7tutorials.com/5-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-8-windows-81
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-including-safe-mode
    http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/ss/windows-8-safe-mode.htm

15. CheeseDonkey

Well, this stinks. No luck again.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1122591

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice