1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop won't connect to unsecure wireless networks

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Mibugnu, Oct 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mibugnu

Mibugnu Thread Starter

Hi, Im having an issue and hope someone can help.

I have 2 laptops, one running XP and the other Vista. The XP will only connect to SECURED wireless networks, (technically it says "connected" to un-secured networks but I can't browse the internet).

Howit all came about.....

I just got the XP laptop, brought it home to my (at the time) unsecured wireless network, Hit CONNECT to my network, showed connected in the task bar, tried to access the internet, internet connection issue (no internet). Turned on my other laptop (Vista computer), all is fine, connected to internet.

Dug around in the XP network connections all looked good (network Authentication-OPEN, Data Encription-NONE) still no internet

I accessed router settings and enabled WEP encription, setup both laptops to match. Both worked fine, internet on both. WOO HOO!

Except....I still can't access the internet on unsecured wireless networks on the XP computer while I'm out and about.

(I know, "take the Vista laptop when you're out and about" seems like a solution, but it isn't really)

Any help??????

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Maybe some weird non-Windows firewall or security suite "protecting" you?

3. Mibugnu

Mibugnu Thread Starter

None. Just weird. Took it to a puter tech today. He was able to connect to his unsecured(at the time) network and browse the web. Disconnected, then tried to reconnect, same problem as before...showed connected but no net. SAME unsecured network used a minute ago. He couldn't find anything out of order. I plan on taking it out to some other wifi spots tomorrow to see how it acts.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Do you have XP SP3?

What wireless adapter? Do you have the latest driver (from the laptop manufacturer's web site if an integrated adapter) for it?

What wireless utility are you using? Are you sure no other one is running?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/954903

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice