1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop won't connect to unsecured wireless networks

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Ilorad, Dec 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ilorad

Ilorad Thread Starter

The title pretty much sums it up. I'm running windows 7 on a brand new samsung q430 laptop with an atheros AR9285 network adaptor.
    I'm currently in a work camp with 3 public networks in range, none of which my laptop will connect to. The signals are strong, but upon attempting to connect, the "windows was unable connect to [network name] message appears almost instantly. A coworker with a Dell laptop running windows 7 has no trouble connecting, and I'm currently typing this message on my first gen iPod touch, which also connects without any drama.

Any help with this situation would be GREATLY appreciated. y

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make sure you have the latest wireless driver from Samsung's web site.

Make sure you do not have a non-Windows firewall or security suite blocking networking (many new PCs include one pre-installed).

3. Ilorad

Ilorad Thread Starter

The laptop came with Mcafee installed, but in the process of trying to solve the problem, I disabled it completely. This didn't help. As far as drivers go, I won't be able to update them until I can connect here, or three months from now when I return home.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Often doesn't. Uninstall it and run the Removal Tool.

Maybe somebody with internet access will download them for you. If so, copy it with USB flash drive or CD-RW, etc.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971919

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice