1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop won't connect to wifi in certain building

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Lehfoxeh, Jan 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lehfoxeh

Lehfoxeh Thread Starter

Alright, so I have a Dell xps 12 running windows 8.

On my school's campus, there are two wifi options. One is secure with a login, the other is unsecured but with a Web login. Normally I connect to the secure one and have no problem.

However, in one building I've encountered issues connecting. My computer will pick up the signal for both options (and says there is strong signal) , then try to connect to the secure one. It will say "connection is taking longer than usual" and then fail to connect, then say no networks available. I tried resetting the network adapters and it picks up the signal again for a moment, try to connect, and then same problem again.

I can see other people in the room connected to the Internet with no issue. My phone also connects with no problems, and has full signal. I have no idea why my computer won't connect.

Anyone have any advice?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    windows 8 can be difficult and often the solution is to turn the router on/off- which I suspect you have no control over

what do you mean by " a moment"

3. gEEkEE

gEEkEE

Yep, sounds like a problem with windows 8 and the router. Do you know what type of router it is?

4. Lehfoxeh

Lehfoxeh Thread Starter

Yea I have no control over the router since I'm just on campus. No one else (with the exception of one student) seems to have any problems connecting though.

And by" a moment" I mean long enough for it to "see" the network, attempt to connect, fail to connect, and then no longer "see" it anymore. Just repeats the original problem.

Also as a note, I have no issues connecting to this wifi elsewhere on campus. It seems to be just this building.

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    that is strange

can we see an xirrus screen shot with that network on it
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector
    Download and install

If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC
    Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and install the program.
    You will now need to take a screen shot and copy that back to the working PC and attach the screen shot in a reply on the forum here.

http://www.xirrus.com/Products/Wi-Fi-Inspector.aspx
    Direct link to the program is here http://info.xirrus.com/Wi-FiInspectorConfirmation.html

{If the above link does not work heres another link http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_download/fid,77196-order,4/download.html}

Then run and install the program - on a wireless enabled PC/Laptop
    if you get an error - You need will need to have NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.
    On windows 8 - (i do not have windows 8) but, it would appear that, When you first try to run, you may get a message that .net framework is needed, and included in that message is a link to download/install.

Run the program

A user guide is available here http://www.xirrus.com/cdn/pdf/Xirrus-Wi-Fi-inspectorguide-1-2-1-RevB-6.aspx

post a screen shot of the program running.
    if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information.

post which SSID name is yours, its located in the list, under network "Adapter Name" (1st column)

To post a screen shot of the active window.
    1) (For windows 8 see below) hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application (Start> All Programs> Accessories> Paint) and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
    OR
    2) if you are using Vista/Windows 7 you can use the "snipping tool" which is found in Start> All programs> Accessories> Snipping Tool

To upload the screen shot to the forum, open the full reply window ("Go Advanced" button) and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
    Full details are available here http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Posting_a_Screenshot

Note:
    For a reliable (or robust as the Xirrus user guide says) wireless connection you need a signal of about -70 dBm or better. "A desirable signal level for a robust Wi-Fi connection will be green".
    note: the signal level is a negative number, so for example -88 is worst and -40 is better

If you are using the Mac OS then use http://www.istumbler.net/

if you want to optimise base station position and signal strength / dead spots use
    http://www.chimoosoft.com/products/apgrapher/ which has a graph function to monitor signal

For windows 8 - I dont have windows 8 and not tried - but this should work
    1)
    MSPaint is only available in classic desktop mode and can not use this program with the new Windows 8 start screen.
    You can find MSPaint by typing “mspaint”, which will search and allow you to install.
    MS "Fresh Paint program" is for Windows 8, download free from the Windows 8 store.

2)
    >Open Snipping Tool (From the Windows 8 Start Screen, type "snip" and press enter.
    >Press the Esc. key.
    >go back to your Windows 8 start screen - Swipe from left or press Window Button
    >Press Ctrl+PrntScr button to use Snipping Tool

6. Lehfoxeh

Lehfoxeh Thread Starter

Ok, sorry its taken me so long to respond, I havent been back to the room in question until today. Alright so I downloaded the Xirrus thing. I tested it out at a location that I had wifi connection and got a signal strength in the -40 or -50 range. Then I did it when I was in the building where I've been having issues.

There are three attachments to this reply. The one titled "c" was what I got when I first entered the room. Then I tried resetting my network adapter, which gave me what is shown in attachment "b". It picked up on both of the available wifis with a signal of -47 and -48, which when I got earlier in the day, worked just fine. It only showed this for a second, though (in fact I had to go back and reset the adapter again in order to take the screenshot). After just a moment, I got what is shown in attachment "a". You can see on the side that it is still attempting to connect to the network FSUSecure, and shows full signal. It fails to connect, and I end up with what is shown in "c" again.

Again, I can see other people in the room connected to the internet with no issue.

Any ideas?? This is very frustrating!

Attached Files:

• c.jpg
      c.jpg
      File size:
      194.6 KB
      Views:
    • a.png
      a.png
      File size:
      478.8 KB
      Views:
    • b.jpg
      b.jpg
      File size:
      243.1 KB
      Views:
  7. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne

Try reseating the wireless adapter

If the adapter is easily accessible, usually through a cover on the bottom of the laptop.
    Remove and reinsert it carefully and firmly to make sure it is not loose.
    Then remove and carefully and firmly replace it several times to cure any possible looseness or corrosion.
    At the same time check to make sure the antenna leads are securely attached.
    Note: This is not taking the machine apart. We do not recommend removing the keyboard when that is necessary to find the wireless.

8. Lehfoxeh

Lehfoxeh Thread Starter

I have no idea how to do that on this device. There is a small panel at the bottom, but I think that might just go to the battery?

9. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  10. Lehfoxeh

Lehfoxeh Thread Starter

So it's been a while since I've said anything in here dunno if anyone will respond..

There definitely seems to be some sort of disconnect in this room. My wireless adapter just doesn't work when I'm in this room. It's not the network because I set my phone up as a hotspot and it wouldn't detect that either (it worked elsewhere).

I can connect anywhere else but this building/room. Anyone have any idea why the heck my network adapter would just stop working in this specific location?

11. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    construction - is a Faraday cage at all - that will is designed to stop electromagnetic information and used in a number of secure locations
    OR simply the bricks and mortar and re-enforcement used

use xirrus and see what happens as you move into the room

12. Lehfoxeh

Lehfoxeh Thread Starter

The thingg is, when I first turn it on it will detect the networks, and Xirrus gave a signal strength of like 45 (pretty strong) But then the networks disappear and I'd have to reset my adapter again, and even after that it usually doesn't work. Other people all around me have no problem accessing the network.

13. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    but its only it that room - rest of the world it works fine

14. Lehfoxeh

Lehfoxeh Thread Starter

I mean other people in the room with me have access to the network.

15. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i understand that - I meant you with the PC
    can you use it anywhere else?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085511

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice