1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop won't connect to wireless network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jmc, Jan 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jmc

jmc Thread Starter

I have a wireless network, DI-614+ router. All was working fine, 'till I had a possible security breach (not sure if it was or not), which caused me to discover many new ways to tighten up my wireless connection. Unfortunately, somewheres along the way my laptop, a Fujitsu P1120 running XP Home, decided it didn't want to play any more. The other computer on the network, a PC running Windows 98, connects fine. The primary computer is wired to the router.

Here's what I've changed in the router config:

Yesterday:

• Reduced the scope of my DHCP server, so it covers only the # of computers actually connecting.
    • Set static IPs for those three computers. Laptop's in the middle of the addys available.
    • Set router to only allow specific MAC addys. This worked fine yesterday.
    • Turned off SSID broadcasting. It was on 'cause the laptop seemed to need it originally, but yesterday it didn't - was working fine.

At this point, the laptop had no problem connecting to the network, or to the internet through it. I had made no changes to the laptop, just to the router config.

TODAY:
    • Changed my SSID and channel. This I think is where it all went wrong. But WHY? I've set them the same on the laptop, and by [diety] it SEES the wireless connection!
    • Reduced the signal strength. The laptop's less than a foot from the router, 'nuff said. it sees the connection as 100%.

I think that's it. I made no change to the laptop config until it was apparent that it wasn't going to connect any more.

The laptop DOES see the wireless connection, reports a "connected" status. Fat lot of good it does me though, 'cause everything else is like the network doesn't exist. It cannot ping the router or the primary PC (request times out). The PC can ping the router, the other computer on the net, but not the laptop (again, times out).

When I boot the laptop with DHCP automatic, it sets the "Autoconfiguration IP Address" to something bogus, and that's all she wrote. It's like it isn't even looking for the router, though I've even set the Default Gateway in the TCP/IP properties. I've tried setting the General setting to using specific addresses, but that didn't work either.

I've turned off the firewall, thinking it might be the problem, no difference. I've tried the "repair" option, to no avail.

I'd appreciate any ideas, even obvious ones. I'm thinking that I might be missing something really obvious... or else I've just discovered another reason to upgrade my laptop :)

Thanks for any assistance!

jmc

2. DBClark

DBClark

IMHO, disabling the SSID of your network does not help secure your network. Usually it just causes more problems than what it's worth. You mentioned assigning static ip's, if so, did you assign your routers address as the default gateway and configure your computer with the address you gave it in the routers config?

3. jmc

jmc Thread Starter

I'm aware that disabling the SSID doesn't do much, but as the security guy said, a bunch of small things should make the hacker (who had a go at my network the other day) move on to easier game - like the new neighbor that IS broadcasting. At any rate, it hasn't been making any difference.
    Yes, I assigned the router's addy as the default gateway, and set the laptop's IP addy to match the static one I told the router to use. Tried with, and without. No diff.

And now my laptop's even more hosed as I found a firmware upgrade, but it doesn't seem to be working. Scans, but can't find the network at all now - looks like it's looking on the wrong channels.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Get rid of all that fake "security" stuff. Even resetting the router to factory settings may be appropriate at this point (make sure you know how to configure the internet connection). Don't enable encryption yet.

Put your computers back to 'optain IP auto ...'. Check for latest wireless adaptor driver/utility and install if needed. Try to connect.

If success, enable encryption; WPA is best but if that 98 machine is used wirelessly you'll have to see if there is a driver that supports WPA and find a utility on the web that will support WPA on Windows 98.

If you can't use WPA, use WEP. Yes, it can be broken, but anybody who can break it can brush aside all those other things that make your network difficult to use.

What do you mean your adapter's looking on the wrong channels? Like maybe you have a driver for Europe but are in US, or vice-versa?

5. jmc

jmc Thread Starter

Well, I disagree that the steps I've taken are "fake security". I've access to some great security folks, and this is what is recommended, given that I can't do WPA (no router upgrade available). I live in a close-knit neighborhood, and have likely had my wireless network hacked, so there is absolutely NO WAY I'm leaving my network unprotected. I am aware, however, that the best I can do with the equipment I have is to make me a harder target than the "next guy". If I'm a specific target, rather than one of opportunity, there's little I can do besides continually change my WEP keys and router password to make it harder.

Also, read my most recent post. I tried to load the latest wireless driver on my laptop and now it's hosed, making the 'wrong channel' problem moot, at the moment.

6. DBClark

DBClark

I have to ask! After installing new drivers on the laptop, did you enable the SSID broadcasting at least until you got everything set up and running? Have you tried resetting the router to factory default...a big pain I know with all the configurations you have made? I beleive you can save your setting to a file in a lot of cases.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436608

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice