1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop wont connect wireless to new router

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by kazazer, Dec 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kazazer

kazazer Thread Starter

My Acer Aspire 1315 running windows vista basic used to connect fine wireless to the internet i was on tiscali until talk talk took them over still had the tiscali router but on talk talk connection all was fine UNTIL! i got a new talk talk router. I must state that my desktop computer (connected straight to router with cable) works perfect and my brothers laptop on windows 7 connects to the rounter wireless with no problems so does my phone and other items all but MY LAPTOP lol my acer laptop WILL connect to new router with cable but wont connect wireless, and yes the wireless is on! all im getting is local only so there must be a mis communication between laptop and new router? please advise as im now pulling my hair out tryin to fix the problem and no i cant get into my router (as in typing the gateway into browser) as im unsure of its username and password help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page (don't collapse the Radar, Connection or Signal History) of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. If you need help with that see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows 7 or Vista I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.

Also show ...

Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
    Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

3. kazazer

kazazer Thread Starter

i will do this tomorrow but i got a feeling its a secruity issue with the laptop as it will coonect to any diff network wireless just not a actual talk talk box as it wont connect to my friends branded talk talk box either just says local only

4. kazazer

kazazer Thread Starter

attached is ipconfiq etc

Attached Files:

5. kazazer

kazazer Thread Starter

thats everything gonna try get into my router at some point if i can get the password lol

6. kazazer

kazazer Thread Starter

helps if i attach lol

Attached Files:

7. kazazer

kazazer Thread Starter

Ok anyone there? I got into my talk talk router changed the security setting to open and my laptop connected wirelessly now i cant leave the setting on open cos any one can then connect to my internet so now we know the problem what do i do?

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What wireless adapter and what encryption were you using?

9. kazazer

kazazer Thread Starter

its AES at the moment i have fiddled about with it made it AES and TKIP and just TKIP but nothing worked im using a Atheros AR5BXB63 adapter

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Have you tried WPA-PSK TKIP (not WPA2)?

11. kazazer

kazazer Thread Starter

i cant remember i think i did i will try when finish work at midnight but i think i did try all options and the only one that worked was open so no passphase etccc

12. kazazer

kazazer Thread Starter

ok tried them all again none work apart from as i said if i connect lappy straight to box via ethnet or leave secruity as open

13. kazazer

kazazer Thread Starter

Iv finally done it i removed all drivers for atheous plugged lappy into box via cable re installedcthe software then updated drivers and what u no it now connects wireless woohooo finally lol

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083059

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice