1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop won't connect with anything!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by z3mmn, Jun 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. z3mmn

z3mmn Thread Starter

My son has a Dell Inspiron 6000. He's been using it for two years now without a problem. Yesterday he tried to get on line (wireless connection) and could not. He kept getting the message, "Windows connot configure this wireless connection". When I did a test of the network connection I got the message, "Did not receive IP address" and it appears that there is an icon missing from his control panel. It was between Wireless Ntework Set up and Viewpoint. I have no idea what was there. I tried everything I could think of. Then I took the Ethernet cable from my desktop and plugged that into his laptop and he still couldn't connect. I am baffled. We use FIOS through Verizon as our ISP and the modem/router is a Actiontec MI424WR. I do not have any problems with my desk top, it's as if something has been erased from his laptop, but he says he did not delete anything (he's 20 so I believe him). I have gone to the Dell support pages and couldn't find anything helpful. Also odd, is that in his taskbar, the wireless icon says, connected and that the signal strenght is excellent, so why can't he connect? Am I being an idiot and missing the obvious?

2. TravisXP

TravisXP Banned

Have you done system restore.. just restore it to the date it worked.. if all else fails.. post back

TravisXP

3. z3mmn

z3mmn Thread Starter

Had already that of that but his system restore was never turned on, so there was no point to go back to.

4. TravisXP

TravisXP Banned

give me a moment it might be some type of virus thats blocking your connection so since you dont have internet on the computer u need to save these files that i ask you to download on a blank cd

5. TravisXP

TravisXP Banned

If you could please go on google and search for SUPER Anti-spyware and download that and save it on your desktop. then get a blank CD-R cd and put inside computer then go on my computer and right click and hit explore then go on desktop and grab the file u downloaded and drag it to the explored cd then insert it in the problem pc
    Then do a full scan if all elese fails post back i got another idea

TravisXP

6. TravisXP

TravisXP Banned

NVM i read it through and i think i found the solution to your problem.. on your network connections right click and click repair.. hopefully the information works

7. z3mmn

z3mmn Thread Starter

Tried the repair thing already too, still didn't work. We have top notch virus protection and two adware/spyware protection programs. And we keep them very up to date. I'm afriad my last resort will be to re-install Windows and I really don't want to do that.

8. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

the wireless part may have failed, whether onboard, pci or usb adapter or be an encryption issue..

does it show up in device manager? try reinstalling the sofware.

9. TravisXP

TravisXP Banned

or ping the network... my conclusion is to click start, then RUN and type in CMD. then type ipconfig then the default you type in your internet browser like 456.533.56.5 just type it in like that no "www" or ".com" just the ip and look at your settings. and if its wireless do the same to the main computer see if its blocking it.

10. TravisXP

TravisXP Banned

i may not talk alot cause i am makeing food but post back and if u have any questions dont hesitate to ask my msn addy is [email protected] so add me if u have to talk to me asap

11. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

you've got a bezillion ideas which are great, unless the wireless adapter isn't in device manager or has a problem/exclamation point.

12. TravisXP

TravisXP Banned

well my cousin had the same problem he just had to get a new modem but i thought that was worth it but there might be another solution

13. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

great info but the desktop is working so it might not be a modem issue.

14. TravisXP

TravisXP Banned

weird thats something messed up then

15. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

you may be on to something and it only took 14 posts

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!