Laptop wont connect

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

nvrsummer2

Ok, I have a friends Gateway laptop with XP. I hook it up through my ethernet connection from my desktop. I get the little icon in the taskbar with the exclamation mark in it. It says limited or no connectivity and brings up a blank page in explorer. I looked in the device manager and it says the ethernet is installed and working properly.
I have even tried the ipconfig/release, /renew trick and it times out on the /renew portion. I unplugged the modem when I switched it over for a min or so. But when I plugged it back into my desktop it connected right away. Any ideas??? Thanks....

You are trying to connect the laptop via wire or wireless?

Do you have a router? On the laptop, please provide the following:

Start-Run type CMD, click ok

type IPCONFIG /ALL

right click on the windown, copy then paste

post the resutl (may need a flash drive if laptop won't connect)

nvrsummer2

I am using a wired DSL Modem. At home he has a wired cable connection. Will that make a diff as well when he tries to reconnect at home?

heres the info... And no I dont have a flash drive so im going to just type it...lol

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . .: ed-y3vyvpmik1gt
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . .: Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . .: NO
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . .: NO

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-Specific DNS Suffix. :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .: VIA PCI 10/100mb Fast Ethernet Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 00-E--B8-38-90-22
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . . . : YES
Autoconfiguration Enabled. . . . : YES
Autoconfiguration IP Address. . : 169.254.137.131
Subnet Mask. . . . . . . . . . . . . .: 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway. . . . . . . . . . . :

TerryNet

Terry
So that we know what our target is please post the ipconfig /all from your working PC.

nvrsummer2

for some reason it wont let me copy!?!?! When I do paste it pastes all kinds of other junk. Any way to clear that out and start over?? So I can do a clean copy?

nvrsummer2 said:
Autoconfiguration IP Address. . : 169.254.137.131
Subnet Mask. . . . . . . . . . . . . .: 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway. . . . . . . . . . . :
Verify that your wireles card is enabled and turned on.

It is clear that this is not a valid IP address coming from the router. Now, as TerryNET said, do the same for the working computer.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here. {credit johnw}

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online