1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop Won't Hold A Charge

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xcryinginrainxx, Jun 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xcryinginrainxx

xcryinginrainxx Thread Starter

My laptop won't hold a charge. If you wiggle the cord around a bit it might, but then it stops charging after a minute or so. Last night I managed to charge it completely.

I'm not sure what's wrong with it. I know it can't be the battery since the battery lasts a pretty long time when it IS charged, but it just doesn't charge good. I'm not sure what's wrong with it.

I'm not sure if it could be the AC power adapter not connecting with the laptop or the thing in the laptop itself..

2. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy xcryinginrainxx...

Sorry to tell you this, but it is most likely the DC jack on the motherboard, it could be bad, or it could be (most likely) a bad connection from the jack to the motherboard...

Is it still under warranty ?

3. xcryinginrainxx

Sadly no, it's not under warranty.

I have found a place that repairs laptops, so that's an option I could choose.

Is it possible to repair it though or what?

4. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Ohhh...yes it's possible if it is the jack ( which I suspect, since you can wiggle the cord and it works sometimes )...

If you are comfortable with taking the laptop apart down to removing the motherboard, and are pretty proficient in desoldering/soldering, then you can probably do it yourself...otherwise I'd let someone who knows how to do it do the repair (no offence intended), because you can damage the board if you don't know what you're doing (no offence intended again)...

5. xcryinginrainxx

Alright then. I'll consider checking this laptop repair store I heard of called the Laptop Guy. I think it's pretty good.

6. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Never heard of it...I do my own...

Good luck...do some research on this store...I've heard some horror stories on some of these stores that would raise your hair ( not saying this is one of them...but there are some of them out there ) !!!

7. xcryinginrainxx

Okay, thanks!

8. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Welcome...(y)

Please let us know how it turns out ;)...

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I suggest you do NOT keep wiggling the jack around to get it to charge! I've seen two laptops where this advice was ignored, and both resulted in destruction of the motherboard. I still have one of the motherboards here for spare parts.

[​IMG]

10. Justinl

Justinl

The problem could also be with the ac adapter. Some have a tiny pin inside them that can either bend or break completely. Just a thought.

11. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'll bet money, and take odds, it's the laptop jack.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/580380