1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

laptop won't let me download anything

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by pc_illiterate1, Mar 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pc_illiterate1

pc_illiterate1 Thread Starter

I got a new laptop and it won't let me download anything. I get a pop up that says windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. you may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item and my antivirus (webroot from geeksquad) says that a threat has been detected but doesn't show up in the scan. I've tried using IE to download and Google Chrome. I keep getting that I don't have sufficient permissions. I've gone into the tools and changed my internet security, I've activated the hidden administrator, and added "authenticated users" to the administrator list and none of it worked. I need new suggestions please, all I'm trying to do is download a resume builder and nothing is working.

2. CleaverX

CleaverX

This issue sometimes happens if you try to 'Run' and application directly from the download host instead of using the 'Save' or 'Save As' buttons and downloading it first to your computer.
    Then go to the default download folder, usually 'Downloads' and double click the executable directly

3. pc_illiterate1

pc_illiterate1 Thread Starter

i tried that and it seemed like it was going to work but webroot popped up saying that the setup was a malware threat. I've downloaded this many time on different computers and never had it say that it was a threat of any kind. it stopped the set up process before it had even begun and deleted the set up file from my downloads.

4. CleaverX

CleaverX

well you need to decide if that version of the program is in fact a legit program or if it is laced with adware/malware. Webroot tech support should be able to help you with that, or check out the user review on the net. Sometimes, depending on where you are downloading from, the program itself is legit but the installer package may have "promotional" software offers that are identified as adware/malware threats by many security solutions.

5. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Since Webroot seems to be causing the issue you are having, disable it and try downloading. If downloading now works, uninstall Webroot and get another av that works better for you.

6. CleaverX

CleaverX

I have to take exception to the last comment. Telling someone to simply ignore or even disable or uninstall a security solution in order to access a file that has been flagged as a threat is unacceptable.
    Webroot is a solid security solution and there is a reason that file has been flagged.

7. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    The OP said "laptop won't let me download anything". That is quite different than having a problem downloading one file.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144079

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice