1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop won't play DVD-RW's only CD-RW's

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Wiskerluv, Nov 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wiskerluv

Wiskerluv Thread Starter

I couldn't paste the computer specifications because I am not on the laptop but another PC.

Toshiba laptop won't recognize DVD-RW's, but will play CD-RW's. I am at a loss as to why this is.
    Would appreciate any solution. If this information doesn't help, I will go to the laptop with the question and post it again with the specs. Thanks!!

2. Wiskerluv

Wiskerluv Thread Starter

Am now on laptop. Running Win XP Pro. In device Mgr, it says my drive is Matshita DVD-RAM UJ88OAS if that helps,

3. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Check if a commercially made DVD shows up in Windows Explorer. If it doesn't show up, does the device manager show any errors or warnings for the drive?

There is a possibility that the DVD reading portion of the drive failed or got dirty. Separate laser pickup heads are used for reading DVDs and CDs

4. Epthree

Epthree

I'm afraid I have no experience with this sort of thing however you can pick up USB powered DVD players for as low as £8 so instead of going through the hassle of trying to sort this it might just be worth buying one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=usb+cd+drive

The fact the machine is still running Windows XP (which I would strongly recommend upgrading) tells me that it's most likely quite old and isn't really worth repairing.

5. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Sounds like a failing drive. RW media require more laser power to read, and the lasers lose power from age/use. So RW media is the first type of media to start having issues.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1180665

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice