Laptop won't resume from standby

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Scarface

I have set the Windows XP (SP2) power options to go into standby mode when I close the lid on my laptop (HP Pavilion ze5715ca). However, when I open it up again, the screen is black (maybe the monitor is off?) and nothing will happen (windows won't start up again, even if I use the touchpad or press any keys). What's going on and how do I fix this?

Scarface said:
I have set the Windows XP (SP2) power options to go into standby mode when I close the lid on my laptop (HP Pavilion ze5715ca). However, when I open it up again, the screen is black (maybe the monitor is off?) and nothing will happen (windows won't start up again, even if I use the touchpad or press any keys). What's going on and how do I fix this?
Is there a Wake button?

Bummer. My Pavilion has a big blue button with a Sun on it at the top center of the keyboard. Makes it a no brainer.

You might wanna check the XP settings and possibly the Bios settings to see what Wake is set as.

Scarface

No...there is no big blue button (shucks!). The only buttons I have up there are Mail, TV, Internet, Lock, and a Question Mark (probably Help).

I'm not sure where to find any Wake settings in XP...I tried searching Help and Support, but the only thing that came up was something about waking the computer for scheduled tasks.

I also checked the BIOS (pressing F2 at boot), but there was nothing there either. (nothing that mentioned anything about waking or standby)

One more thing that might be affecting it; under the BIOS, I have enabled the 'password to boot' option. Would this cause any problems? (since it might not go through the same kind of boot up when resuming from standby)

1. Some laptops use this for wakeup: Hold Function and press F4.

2. Try disabling your screensaver.

3. You may need to update your video driver.

4. Check for this registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\LidCloseSetPower

5. Read this: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=833740

Scarface

I've tried everything and it still will not return to its normal state after standby...I'm not sure if I'm EVER going to be able to fix it. (I updated the ATI video driver, have no screensaver, and created that registry key...no results.)

And now I have another issue...

When I updated the video driver, I also updated my modem driver (Conexant 56K ACLink)

Now whenever I connect to a wireless network, my dial up connection is always trying to connect too. (I've already tried going 'Internet Explorer/Tools/Internet Options/Connections/"never dial a connection"). I simply resorted to removing the dial up connection entirely...but why can't I have both types of connections? I could before I updated...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts