1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop won't start up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vision810, Jan 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vision810

vision810 Thread Starter

The laptop is quite old, about 3.5 years, its an Acer Aspire 5738G. It fist started out as a complete system freeze from time to time (hard reset required), but these issues became more frequent until recently it stopped working altogether. When I turn it on, the power light is glowing, but the screen doesn't even turn on. Once in every 20 or so tries I can actually get it to turn on, just for it to freeze/turn off at some random point in the boot process.

There's another issue I was having, and that's the hdd. I'd get a smart test failed at every boot advising me to replace the hdd, which I didn't do as of yet. Now that the laptop's screen wont turn on anymore, I tried removing the hdd with no effect (I guess I should be able to at least get to the BIOS without the hdd).

Now I know this is not much information to go on, but I would like to ask if repairing the laptop is even worth it. I'll have to replace the hdd which will cost me about 50-60€, then also pay for the replacement part(s) and repair services. Considering the the laptop is quite old, I might be better of just buying a new one.

Thanks for any advice on this matter.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086930

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice