laptop wont start,

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

fly440

Hi All
My laptop started playing up ,the hard drive was making a noise like a grinding effect ,some of my applications just went missing etc etc ,so I decided to reinstall /repair from the dvd that came with it .It got nearly all the way made a weird noise an error message came up for a tenth of a second then it shut down and wont restart at all .Is it easy to install a new hard drive in laptops or does this seem even worse than that.

etaf

Wayne
sounds like a harddrive to me
and yes it can be very easy to replace harddrive

whats the make and model of the laptop

fly440

Hi Etaf
It is a fujitsu siemens if thats any good to you, do I need any special tools to get at the hard drive I have replaced them in pc,s but never in a laptop seems a bit harder to get too.

etaf

Wayne
do you have the model
the ones I have replaced are slotted in fromthe side
and you just have a screw on the bottom which releases a frame the hardrive is in - slot in a newone onto the frame.
thats Compaq
also I have seen they are sometime accessable from the bottom of the laptop - just again unscrew a cover

theres a lot of info here on toshiba
http://irisvista.com/tech/index.htm
may give you an idea

you will need a 2.5" harddrive for the laptop

DoubleHelix

Banned
If you're going to do it yourself, get a copy of the hardware manual for the laptop to be sure you're unscrewing the proper parts.

fly440

the model is AMILO D 7800 I presume that is the model number ,I will search the net for the manual just to check but I dont have time till saturday .I will keep you informed.

fly440

thanks a lot for your help ,i will up date you as soon as i have had a go

fly440

Hi
I cany seem to find the hardware manual ,got the operaters do you know of any other sites that can show me how to remove it ,I have looked over it and it seems as if its internal just dont want to remove the whole casing.

Uhh how old is the laptop? By removing the case you void any warranty you could have? And if it's still in effect, make them do it? lol.

fly440

I took a look at that etaf,but the plate they are talking about covers the memory on my laptop ,the laptop is about 4years old so no warranty there ,looks like I might have to remove the whole of the back cover ,not looking forward to that.

fly440

Hi All
I took the plunge and started to strip the laptop down ,first thing I took out was the dvd drive ,Noticed 4 small screws holding a thin steel plate down ,low and behold the hard drive was under neath feel a bit of a nugget but at least I sorted it .Question will any hard drive fit or does it have to be siemens .

etaf

Wayne
any 2.5 inch should do - may be an issue on bios for size of drive - what size was the drive ???
also some drives are low temp

fly440

Hard Drive States
Disk Drive Mk2018gas
Hdd2168 C Ze01 T
Dc+5v Q.7a

S/n 72rd5575t 2p1 Ec.a

8455mb [cyl16383,h16,s63]
20.00gb {lba 39,070,080sectors}

Hope That Helps

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online