Laptop won't start

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

clevey4

I have a laptop with W XP Home, about a 1.6 G Intel processor. Not sure about SP because I can't start the thing! I push the power button and the fan spins for 1-2 seconds then stops, the power light stays on and the thing goes silent and stays dark. I keep turning it on and off and it used to eventually start after 15-20 tries but now it won't. HD light never lights during this. Where do I start? Power supply? thanks in advance. - Chris

dustyjay

Jay
I am thinking that you are not getting your battery charged and your ac adapter/connector may be the culprit. May be a silly question, do you still have any warranty time left with this laptop? If so I would use that to have it repaired by the manufacturer before tearing into it myself. Laptops are a different animal than desktops

clevey4

I checked the power supply - it does supply the 19V DC that it says it should. The batt also gets hot while charging. Any other ideas? Thanks for your reply! - CSL

wacor

Banned
how old is the computer?

it this is an old battery and it is shot i am wondering if it could do the same thing as a car battery where if a battery is shorted out you can not even jump a car without removing the battery??

maybe worth taking the battery out and trying to run off power supply?

clevey4

That was a good thought. But without the battery in it still did the same thing. (I didn't realize you could run it without the battery)!
Any other thoughts?

wacor

Banned
do any of the lights even try to come on? what make is the laptop?

clevey4

It is a PC Club EN34504

The battery charge/external power light works as expected. When "starting" the unit the power-on light does illuminate.
thanks again. - Chris

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online