1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

laptop wont startup win 7, white dash blinking

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by nemi2012, Mar 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nemi2012

nemi2012 Thread Starter

I have several hours working on laptop that suddenly wont startup OS win 7. When I turn on laptop shows HP main logo (Press "ESC" key to enter start up menu) and after that shows a white dash flashing on the top left corner. I tried system repair disc, but it didnt work. I tried to restore system to an earlier point and didnt work either, it showed an error (0x8000ffff). I tried to restore to factory settings using F11 key but it only shows the white blinking. I already tried everything I found on the internet but no success. Thanks in advance if somebody can help me.

2. Lance1

Lance1

Go into the bios and see if the hard drive is detected. If when you try to return to factory setting and all you get is a flashing cursor, it indicates that the hard drive is no longer recognized. What model is your HP Laptop? If the HDD is recognized it may be a boot sector issue. Give this a try---> How to use the Bootrec.exe tool post back please.

3. nemi2012

nemi2012 Thread Starter

The hard drive was not detected, BIOS shows processor, memory, etc but not shows hard drive. I tried to return to factory settings (F11) and the flashing cursor was there again :(

4. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    Try it on main, with the battery removed. See what you get there

5. nemi2012

nemi2012 Thread Starter

I removed battery and tried directly with power cord, but everything is the same, it doesn't let me go further flashing cursor :(

6. Lance1

Lance1

Sorry to say but it looks as though the drive is dead. You'll need to get another one, and if you don't have restore CD's you'll need to contact HP and purchase them.

7. nemi2012

nemi2012 Thread Starter

what do you think make the HDD failed?

8. jakey8

jakey8 Banned

Bad sectors. Even one little sector, it still won't work. If the HDD was recognized, I would have suggested a run of Memtest86.

9. nemi2012

nemi2012 Thread Starter

HDD was not recognized. Thanks to every one!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1044705

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice