1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop won't stay connected to wireless internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ronda1969, Feb 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ronda1969

ronda1969 Thread Starter

Hi,
    I'm having trouble getting my laptop to stay connected to my wireless internet. This problem only occurs with my laptop. Other laptops in the house are able to connect no problem. It stays connected for about 5 minutes at a time, then loses connection. I have to disconnect and then reconnect all the time just to get online. I've had the router about 2 years with no problems. This just started happening only to my laptop yesterday. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Do you have the same trouble with an ethernet connection?

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page (including Radar, Connection and Signal History) of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. If you need help with that see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows 7 or Vista I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.

Also show ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

3. ronda1969

ronda1969 Thread Starter

I can't get it to take a screen shot. My screen shot key is my "end" key. Nothing happens when I press it. I go to Gimp to put it there and it tells me I have nothing to put there. Sorry I'm so inept :(

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

You can still answer the ethernet (wired) question and post the ipconfig /all. :)

On some laptops you have to hold the Fn key while pressing PrtScn. If you are using Vista or Windows 7 try instead to use Start - All Programs - Accessories - Snipping Tool.

You can't be inept. Inept (and a lot of other) people haven't even heard of Gimp! :D

5. ronda1969

ronda1969 Thread Starter

Does this help?

Attached Files:

6. ronda1969

ronda1969 Thread Starter

I did the other thing with the start and run, select all and hit enter. It just flashes on the screen and goes away. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong :(

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

The signal is plenty strong enough, but that Signal History graph is scary. Mine typically is a straight line, varying by only 1 or 2 dBm. Assuming you weren't tossing the laptop up in the air or skipping around the room there is something wrong there.

Go to your laptop manufacturer's web site, support section, and make sure you have the latest wireless driver.

If one of the other laptops is running Windows see what the Xirrus Signal History looks like on it. If it is pretty much a straight line that points a finger at your computer (instead of the router).

On many laptops you can get to the wireless adapter by removing a cover on the bottom of the laptop (unplugged and battery removed, of course). If yours is like that check to see that the antenna leads are secure.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Probably don't need the ipconfig /all now, but what you did wrong is run the ipconfig /all in the Run box, instead of typing CMD to open a Command Prompt.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1039402