1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop wont switch on, it just says insert boot disc

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by olivialaurynx, Oct 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. olivialaurynx

olivialaurynx Thread Starter

Hi,

My laptop got dropped accidently and now when i try switch it on a black screen with lots of letters running appears on it telling him to insert a boot disc. It's really important i get it fixed as it has my itunes, family photos and coursework! Please, please help me. Grateful for any advice on how to get it working again!!!

Thanks soo much

Olivia :)

2. olivialaurynx

please someone help me i'm really desperate for a response because my teacher wants my i.t coursework in straight away and its stored on the laptop? even if there's a way to just restore the documents and things

3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Unfortunately, this is not a paid forum and is totally run as a volunteer help site. It can take some time for someone who feels qualified to help to read your post. it can take as much as 24 hours. that said, you might be able to retrieve your data by removing the hdd, connecting it to another computer using an external enclosure. From the sounds of it it could be that the hdd may just need reseating, but with a dropped laptop there will likely be other damage as well.

4. olivialaurynx

Thanks so much, yeah I get this i'm just so desperate and a little impaitent sorry ahhaha, what's a hdd and how do i remove it? and then would i just put it into my other laptop? will a computer shop be able to fix it for me? Thanks!!!

Olivia

5. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

A computer shop should be able to handle this.
    What is the exact make and model of the laptop?
    Like Jay said, I would try reseating the hard drive first before trying anything else

6. olivialaurynx

Thanks, it's a toshiba windows. How do I reset it please? basically i turn it on and it says :

"windows has encountered a problem communicating with a devise connected to your computer. This error can be caused by unplugging a removeable storage device such as an external USB drive while the device is in use, or by faulty hardware such as a hard drive or CD-ROM drive that is failing. Make sure any removeable storage is properly connected and then restart your computer. If you continue to recieve this error message, contact the hardware manufacturer. Staus : 0xc0000e9 Info: an unexpected i/o error has occured."

I'm not very techical as you may have guessed but i don't want to pay big bills to fix if if i can try myself.

Thanks so much in advance for any help, it really is appreciated.

Olivia

7. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

Still need the full model of the Toshiba.

Typically if you look at the bottom side of the laptop you should see panels that are held in by screws. The hard drive should be located under a panel that is held in by two screws, most other panels should only have one screw.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1134952

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice