1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop wont wake up rfom sleep.

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Zankaru, Nov 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zankaru

Zankaru Thread Starter

Hope im putting this in the right thread.

I have a Compaq Presario CQ50-110US laptop with Vista.

have not had any problems with it until a few minutes ago. I was moving it so I closed the lid and unplugged the power cable with it still turned on. Whenever I do this it goes into some kind of sleep mode which I can sometimes get it to wake up from and other times I have to reboot. I couldnt get it to 'wake up' so I tried rebooting, waited a few seconds and started it back up, but it still seems to be sleeping.

It will start up and I can hear stuff moving around inside, the power button and the internet-connection button both turn on, but the internet-connection button is orange instead of blue (only does that while in sleep mode that ive seen) and the screen remains black. Also the button to toggle the touch-pad on/off lights up but it does not respond to hitting it.

Ive tried rebooting it 3-4 times but it never 'wakes up' and the screen remains black.

2. DEPLETED

DEPLETED

3. Zankaru

Zankaru Thread Starter

I didnt see anything that helped, and alot of those links kept mentioning an 'event viewer' which I dont know what that is. Im not getting any errors or anything though, screen is completely black the entire time.

4. DEPLETED

DEPLETED

Take out the battery wait a few minutes. Event veiwer is in control panel, administrative tools.
    here is somethings i copied and pasted
    Troubleshooting tips: In the short term, here are some ways to try to regain control of the PC:

• Be patient. Some PCs take up to 30 seconds to wake up.
    • Look for a Suspend or Hibernate key. Some laptops have special keys or buttons for one or both, but the user might not have noticed them if he normally uses some other wake-up method.
    • Try pressing and holding the PC’s power button for five seconds or more. On a PC that's configured to Suspend or Hibernate with a press of the power button, holding down the power button will usually reset and reboot it.
    • Most laptops have an [Fn] key you can press in conjunction with other keys to control laptop-specific features, including power management.
    • As a last resort, remove all batteries, wait a few minutes, and then replace the batteries.

After you successfully restart the PC, you need to look for the underlying problem. Typically, such problems stem from a disagreement either between the power management features of the BIOS and those of your Windows version or between power management and the video card. To begin troubleshooting, make sure you have the most recent version of the video driver installed. It never hurts to go ahead and download and install the latest drivers from the manufacturer's Web site. Outdated video drivers have been known to cause power management problems in some systems.

A conflict between the BIOS power management and Windows power management is the most common cause of such wake-up failure. Experiment with different settings in the BIOS to see if that might solve the problem. For example, a PC might not wake up if Advanced Power Management (APM) is enabled in the Power Options of Control Panel, the BIOS is configured to suspend the computer, and the BIOS time-out value is less than the value configured in Windows. To correct this, you would set the BIOS time-out to be higher than the Windows time-out.
    Note
    Because of the power management issues I mentioned, Microsoft recommends that all BIOS-based power management be disabled on PCs running Windows NT 4.0.
    If tweaking the BIOS and Windows power settings doesn’t help, try visiting the PC manufacturer’s Web site to see if a BIOS update might be available. There are known issues with some PCs failing to resume from Standby, which can be corrected by updating the BIOS.

BIOS can support both APM and Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) power management standards, but ACPI is the more recent and more sophisticated standard. By upgrading the BIOS, you can add ACPI support to the computer, and doing so can potentially clear up compatibility problems between APM and your hardware or OS. If you continue to have wake-up problems and you can’t upgrade from APM to ACPI in your BIOS, try disabling APM entirely in the BIOS.
    Note
    There’s an APM diagnosis tool, Apmstat.exe, in the Support/Tools folder on the Windows 2000 CD-ROM. Use the -v switch, which stands for Verbose, to get more data.
    If you can’t solve the problem from the BIOS, try attacking it from the Windows side. Experiment with Windows Power Management settings to see if changes to any of them resolve the issue. Remember, you don’t necessarily have to use the Windows interface for Standby or Hibernate if your BIOS can directly support it. On one laptop I worked on, the client finally had to forego the Windows power management and use the Hibernate feature built into the BIOS by pressing the PC’s power button.

Just to let you know I have turned off all those options in power control mangement,(control panel)
    Except standby when i close the lid.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!