Laptop works on dmain at work but not at hotel or home

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dnames

XP Pro sp2, works on domain at work (DHCP) but will not work at home or at hotel. It worked fine before but it wont obtain address outside of domain at work. I have tried reset of winsoc, ip stack and am not sure why it won work. Any suggestions?

Have you renewed the IP?

Command line:
type:
ipconfig /release [enter]
ipconfig /renew [enter]

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
If you used the WINSOCK repair found on the net on an XP-SP2 machine, it's not correct for the TCP/IP stack for SP2. The TCP/IP stack registry entries changed significantly for SP2, and the old WINSOCK repair corrupts the new entries. Do the following repair and see if that helps.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands, Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

dnames

Hey all! Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried the following

Release renew
winsoc reset
netsh ip reset
Have removed all listed previous connections for wireless adapter

It is very strange. On the domain here at work, It gains access fine. It will also gain access fine on wirless linksys at work

All settings are for DHCP, no proxy server

COuld there be a reg key thta is holding default settings for the domain and DNS that are not allowing the connection to renew outside of the domain here at work?

When you connect wireless, can you do a:
start / run / cmd
then run IPCONFIG /ALL > c:\ipconfig.txt
then run
notepad c:\ipconfig.txt and post the results

Have you tried a wired connection. Perhaps it is just something with the wireless?

dnames

I have tried both the wirless (built in ) and ethernet (built in)
I do not have the laptop in front of me at this time. I will have it after 3 PM today through out the day tomorrow. Problem is that I cant recreate the problem at work for it works fine here. I will give you a snap shot after 3 PM for you to look at. Again, Thanks!

dnames

I think I found the problem...in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\policies\microsoft\win dows NT\DNSclient
entry NAMESERVER 10.28.13.2

This ip address is the internal DNS server - we use dhcp and it works okay
in the local network. When a person takes thier laptop to another network
(wireless) to connect they show connectivity, but cannot access the internet.
I deleted the key and I am going to test it this weekend...I will let you all know if th is works...Thanks again for the suggestions

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Have you tried using the alternate configuration feature of XP for the two environments?

Is the problem that the computer can't access the Internet or what was mentioned in the first post - "it wont obtain address outside of domain".

dnames

I resolved it.
problem...in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\policies\microsoft\win dows NT\DNSclient
entry NAMESERVER
Delete key and it works fine.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts