1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MrGraywolf, Mar 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MrGraywolf

MrGraywolf Thread Starter

My wife and I are getting ready to purchase a new laptop, but in looking at the ones we are interested in they have, I think, 64 bit processors. All the programs we have, both on CD and online available, are all 32 bit programs. Will they work on the new 64 bit machines? Thanks in advance for any help. Graywolf and Foxygranny

2. ICONIC

ICONIC

you might have to look each specific program up too see. What i know about 64 bit is that its been smoothed out quite a bit, but im not too sure.

why are you looking at a 64 bit machine?

3. MrGraywolf

MrGraywolf Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. The only reason we were looking at the 64 bit is that is what was offered on the site we were looking at. Don't want a 64 bit if it won't take the programs we now have. Cost enough to just buy the laptop, without having to go out and buy all new programs. We have since looked at another and found 32 bit laptops. Thanks again for the reply.

4. Hughv

Hughv

64 bit processors run 32 bit programs just fine (I'm using one right now).
    It's the OS that counts. Windows, and other OS's come in 32 bit and 64 bit versions, and there's the rub.
    While 64 bit OS's have come a long way. there are still driver and application problems. which is why I'm using XP 32 bit.
    My hope for this rig was that 64 bit Windows would be ready as advertised several years ago, bit it just hasn't happened yet.
    Bottom line: The 64 bit processor may give you some future flexibility, so go for it if all the other parameters suit your needs.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697477

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice