1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptops: External video cards, or a Usb to PCIe adapter?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by skullmyst45, Aug 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. skullmyst45

skullmyst45 Thread Starter

What im ultimately looking for is a way to power up my notebook video-wise. I have a Toshiba Satellite M45. I want to be able to play games better. I have already upgraded my RAM to 1GB and looking into upgrading it further to 1.5 GB. However, my current video card is a complete let-down. It is an ATI RADEON XPRESS 200M (mobile). I was looking for a way to make my video performance better. I do not want to take apart my notebook, and i DO NOT want to get a new computer (and i cant) so dont say that. Here are my options:

1.Get an external video card. I dont know if these have come out yet, but i tried looking it up on google and just got paragraphs of people ranting about how sweet theyre gunna be when they come out.
    -OR-
    2.Get some sort of external adapter than let me use PCIe or AGP cards. Maybe there is a USB connector that you plug into your laptop, and it leads to a box where you can input an AGP or PCIe video card. Does this exist? i looked on google but i couldnt seem to phrase it right and always got results of PCIe or AGP cards that have USB inputs, not the other way around.
    Thanks for any suggestions, or please is there is another way to inprove my performance WITHOUT BUYING A NEW COMP, please let me know. Thanks!

2. qldit

qldit

Good Morning skullmyst45, I would suggest not holding your breath waiting for that to happen.
    I know of no way apart from a new high end machine.
    qldit.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Neither option is going to do you any good. Laptops are, for the most part, unexpandable. I suggest you learn to live with disappointment, because if replacement isn't an option, you're stuck.

4. steveb1492

steveb1492

5. skullmyst45

Well, i guess ill just get some more RAM then. thanks for the help!

6. JohnWill

Other than lighten your wallet for better response, I can't imagine what adding to a gig of memory will do for the performance.

7. skullmyst45

adding more memory will let more ram be dedicated to my video card and games, so wont they run faster?

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    There is a limit on how much memory the video card can use. You should check the laptop specs.

The latest drivers also will help.

9. JohnWill

With a gig already, I can't imagine how adding more memory is going to help. However, like I said, you'll be faster with the lighter wallet not slowing you down. ;)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490918

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice