1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop's sleep mode does not turn off hard drive

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by GodsNeighbour, Mar 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GodsNeighbour

GodsNeighbour Thread Starter

Unsure as to whether to post this here or in the hardware section, but since this might be a software problem I figured I'd try here first.

I have a Dell l702x which has an SSD for the OS and some programs and a normal HDD for generic storage needs.
    A few months ago a strange and annoying problem started occurring, in that whenever I put the laptop into sleep mode, either by closing the lid or by choosing it from the start menu, 9 times out of 10 it will begin going into sleep mode, the screen will go black/turn off etc. but the mechanical storage HDD will not spin down and turn off, locking the laptop into this neither on nor off limbo state. When this happens the only things I can do are: hold the power button to force shut down, remove the battery, or let the battery run dry. The next time I power the laptop on I'll be greeted with the "you didn't turn your computer off properly" screen.

I figured this was a problem with the HDD itself, as it was a few years old and was giving me other warning signs that it was on the way out (such as labored clicking and grinding noises when made to do extensive data transfers). So, I saved a bit of money, bought a new HDD (even a different manufacturer to the original, a Western Digital instead of seagate) copied my data to it, installed it, only to discover that the problem STILL exists, sleep mode is still unusable to me.

I can imagine that reinstalling windows will probably solve my issue, however since it's currently loaded up with software I need going into my last semester of college, I'd rather try and avoid that if possible.

I've already tried searching for a solution to this, to no avail, either my google-fu is just not up to scratch, or I might literally be the only person with this issue.

Thanks in advance, and hey, as a bonus, if you can solve the issue, you might be an actual wizard.

EDIT: Can't use signatures yet so heres my specs:

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 8086 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M, -3072 MB
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 122001 MB, Free - 46812 MB; E: Total - 476936 MB, Free - 270588 MB; H: Total - 476936 MB, Free - 183325 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0XN71K
    Antivirus: ESET NOD32 Antivirus 6.0, Updated and Enabled

2. CleaverX

CleaverX

go to the Dell support site and complete an online diagnostic, then check for driver / bios updates for your laptop.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1145599

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice